Differences the Project RS2 Transport and the (newest) Jay's Audio CD2 Mk 3

@jaymark and @charles1dad are owners of the Project PS2 Transport and loving it.  I am between the Jay's Audio CD2 Mk3 and the Project.   However, did anyone compare the NEW 2019 Jay's Audio CD2 Mk3 rather than the prior model Mk2?  Steve Guttenberg reviewed them both and found significant improvement in the Mk3 version sonically.   How close are they now as the Jay's is $2500 and the Project with LTA power is closer to $4,000 (with taxes)?   

fleschler
fuzztone

3,540 posts

You're shopping wrong. You can still get the P-J delivered for about $2500 all in. I got their 4-way LPS for $200.

--------------------

Do tell.......

David

I have not head the Jay's player, but I do have the Project and it is wonderful, especially after adding a linear power supply (I got one from Mojo).  I had the PS Directstream before the Project and thought it was really good - and I still think it is - but the Project was a step up in every way.  It isn't cheap, but I think it gets you into or close to the ranks of the reference players out there (Gryphon, T & A, etc.) for a whole lot less.  Project products really seem to punch above their weight.

Just waiting for my Jay's cdt2 mk3, told it arrived in customs in Cinci from Hong Kong today. Excited to get it is an understatement. 

Regarding the Jay's cd2 mk III, I just ordered one last week from Alvin Chee at Vinshine to mate with my Pontus II. I researched and read all the pertinent  reviews and owner impressions about both units. Yes, the consensus is the Project Audio RST is a step above in sound quality. Ultimate sound quality is a fleeting concept to me and I am hopeful the  Jay's Audio cd2 mkIII isn't too far behind. If it isn't close  so be it. I am settling on the Jay's cd2 mk III because I wanted to have access to the I2s connection to mate with my Pontus II  and also having a IEC. Accordingly the Project 
Audio has a I2s but mates with the Project Audio Preamplifier/DAC.  I didn't want to pony up for the extra LPS because this would have increased the expense of owning the Project Audio RST. Also, I understand from Alvin Chee that another model called Jay's Audio CD3 Pro mk III is being released at a price around $4995.00 with the CD Pro drive. It much more than I wanted to spend. 

Regards

Chuckie

Ditto about the I2s connection, a must for me. Alvin told me my Gustard x26 pro DAC I2s connection would work with the Jay's. Bingo. Tried the PS Audio pwt cd transport and no go with the Gustard on the I2s connection, so I sent it back.