Differences the Project RS2 Transport and the (newest) Jay's Audio CD2 Mk 3

@jaymark and @charles1dad are owners of the Project PS2 Transport and loving it.  I am between the Jay's Audio CD2 Mk3 and the Project.   However, did anyone compare the NEW 2019 Jay's Audio CD2 Mk3 rather than the prior model Mk2?  Steve Guttenberg reviewed them both and found significant improvement in the Mk3 version sonically.   How close are they now as the Jay's is $2500 and the Project with LTA power is closer to $4,000 (with taxes)?   

fleschler

Jason, you are somewhat misinformed. I agree that $2K+ transports are too rich for many (including myself), but the following review holds great promise at a sensible price:

I had been using my moded Oppo 105 (LPS, Furutec IEC with silver tail to the power supply and jumper to bypass the 110/220 switch). I play SACDs direct to my Audio Alchemy DDP-1 + PS 5, but I use a Pangea XLSE digital coax ($169 from AudioAdvisor) to the DDP 1 internal dac for redbook. I have/had a Marantz HD CD-1 as a backup, but recently decided to reinsert it as redbook transport. It is/was quite a it better, but quickly started making a scratching sound. I took it apart and located the problem, but it isn’t a simple fix, requiring a new mechanism @ $150+ shipping. No bueno

I started investigating reasonably priced transports and read the attached review of the Audiolab 6000. I found a slightly used one on Agon (at a great price): it should arrive this Thursday

hth

@tweak1

I started investigating reasonably priced transports and read the attached review of the Audiolab 6000. I found a slightly used one on Agon (at a great price): it should arrive this Thursday

I believe that you’ll be happy with this transport and have no doubt it is better than the cheaper DVD options mentioned above. With regard to the Pro-Ject RS2T keep in mind it utilizes the very latest Stream Unlimited CD Pro-8 drive mechanism and Blue Tiger-84 SERVO all in one aluminum -carbon fiber enclosed unit. This is a huge factor responsible for its sound quality.

Charles

@charles1dad 

Im sure there are sonic reasons to spend a lot more, and I did before I retired. The point I was trying to make is in the case of the transport is, according to the linked review, it serves up a lot of quality sound @ ~$700, allowing better dacs to reveal their goodness

@jasonbourne52 - you obviously don't know what you are talking about but your trolling skills are beyond reproach.  Congrats on crapping on another thread.