I'm confused - Different music...different speakers?

Thanks for allowing me this exploration. I've been on Audiogon before and find myself here for a very different reason this time.
I do believe my system is well resolving and will define gear at the end
Yet I keep getting steered to music genre based on sound.
What I mean by this is simple.
I can't seem to listen to old rock n roll favorites anymore.
There are albums I know from the past inside out and upside down - one example: The Allman Brother's at Fillmore East. I can mostly play every bit of this on guitar. I own three good copies on vinyl and can stream it at hi-res on Qobuz.
There are two drummers and Berry Oakley on bass- no slouch. Duane on slide...etc. An Epic and dynamic album
I can't listen to it - the metal tweeters are just aggravating. And what I remember from the bass and percussion is slam from the very opening to the end - it's not here.
What is going on here?
Gear is as follows:
Analogue side is a Nottingham Space 294, 12" Ace arm, Lyra Delos Cart and an EAR 834 MM/MC phono stage
Digital is an Antelope Zodiac plus with Voltikus power supply
All good and better cables
Totem Hawk floor standers
Amp is a Rogue Cronus w/ KT120 output tubes
Play Bill Evans or Bach ....and I can watch the paint melt off the walls and love every second of it......
I'm at a loss and thanks

smaarch1

@daveyf - I think the OP does bring up a great point. I frequently read where "audiophiles" have their specific "audiophile" recordings (e.g. Diana Krall) they use for auditioning. I have several as well, but they run the gamut of my listening tastes. IMO, using the former approach leads folks into choosing equipment tailored only to specific music genres (e.g. female vocal, jazz, acoustic). Sounds wonderful with that limited material, but not optimal for other genres.

Secondly, a number of folks here have stated their inability to enjoy music that isn't perfectly (in their estimation) reproduced, to the extent that they, for example, can't ever enjoy music in a vehicle. They have *IMO* lost the ability to just enjoy the music itself, and are more interested in / moved by the reproduction than the music. Not to say that better reproduction doesn't, or can't, enhance the musical experience, but if you have to have the best or you can't listen, well I think you're missing the point.

I think what you are experiencing with “At Fillmore East” is more complex than it appears. The easiest issue to address is the lack of impact or slam as you call it. Impact, is largely experienced in the 40 hz to 50 hz range, created mostly with the kick drum and to a somewhat lesser extent, the lowest three to four notes of the bass. A 5.5” woofer is just too small to deliver impact, They just cannot move enough air. To move air you need a large driver. I know you can achieve impact with a 12” driver, but I do not know if you can achieve it with a 10” or 8” driver.

As others have stated, adding a sub should add a lot to your system, though beware, adding a sub can bring great pleasure, but if not implemented correctly it can bring immense frustration. I would look into the Audiokinesis swarm. The swarm is designed to help eliminate a lot of the issues that powerful bass reproduction can cause. It probably is also, pound for the pound the best value. The one draw back might be that the swarm, I think, uses 10” drivers, but if Duke says that they will supply the impact you are looking for, I would trust him.

Now having said all of that, in my opinion there is not a lot of impact on “At Fillmore East”. The kick drums are pretty much berried in the mix, which was pretty typical for the era. The bass is more prominent, but the lowest notes, in my opinion are masked by a 3 to 6 dB bump between 125 and 160 hz and another bump at around 500 hz. If you have a way of removing those bumps, then the low bass becomes much more prominent and more of a dominate factor.

Other things that may help you achieve more impact would be to look into room treatments and if you decide to add a sub to your system, would be to eliminate the frequencies that sub is reproducing from your main speakers. This is something, I believe the swarm is designed to do but I’m not sure if it can do it with the Cronus.

Have you mass loaded the Hawks?

Have you placed them on isolation platforms? Depending on the platform used, either with the ball bearings in the feet or without the ball bearings?

Have you driven them with other amplifiers?

Personally, I’d replace the Hawks. Since you are in a condo and have neighbor ’concerns’ a much higher efficiency (2 way max) with a much wider driver will allow for quality low SPL listening.

The Hawks need more power [and amplification with iron fisted control] than what you can achieve from the Rogue Cronus vis a vis the Hawks.

Rather than "fix" problems, starting fresh may be much easier and far wiser...speakers that are a better fit for your Rogue amp. Or depending on the speakers chosen, a different amp.

Just listened to the entire Fillmore East album while reading your thread and looking into your speakers and amps.

FYI. Former Totem Wind owner.

Vintage Cerwin Vegas for rock and metal are really good! My DX9s were made for that stuff wish I would have kept them around although they would only be in rotation sometimes. They ain’t perfect but they get to the heart of hard music like few others.  Ever heard the newer ones. Probably measure like hell but they are fun and make rock enjoyable even acoustic rock rocks on these. 

You folks are awesome - thanks for all the responses.
Yes a sub is being considered. Which I am unsure but REL looks promising
Yes Totems are sitting with the factory feet, or claws as they call them
And yes I’m asking for a lot from a 5.5" woofer - that makes sense
No I haven’t mass loaded them - maybe something to consider
I also listened to the Fillmore East album again - interesting in that there is an unevenness of the recording from track to track, with some tracks sounding much better then others.
I do think switching to the 4 ohm taps will help - maybe this weekend
I’m really not much of rocker anymore and for most of my listening I very much enjoy this system. I’d be fine if I did nothing...but we all know how this hobby works........
Room treatment - this is the elephant in the room so to speak - My coffee table consists of two flat files for drawings. There are 30 plus years of paper - literally weighing a ton. If that isn’t a bass sink I don’t know what is. So my next effort will be to find another spot for them. This is really a big deal. Stupid me....
Thanks again everyone for some great insight. A pleasure to be here.