Is Rap a valid musical form?

This has been way more than the progression away from tubes to SS!

Believe the world of Hip Hop has been around and evolving for around 5 decades.

And for most of that time I have dismissed and avoided that world and its “music”.

So angry, offensive and abrasive. Just a bunch of rhythmic yelling.

I believe my former thread was titled “Why Rap?”.  Through that discussion and somewhat of an understanding that this must be a new art form that engages and entertains millions if not billions. That and a long standing belief that if a type of music or a particular artist attracts many, many fans there must be substance and quality there. Even if I personally don’t particularly like it there must be something there.

Rap and the Hip Hop world was always so foreign and culturally untouchable.

Then my Rap thread and several others at that time got me rethinking my perspective and I watched a video of a group of student performance musicians at Juilliard all exclaiming their fascination with a Rap artist named Kendrick Lemar and his “masterpiece” “To Pimp a Butterfly”. I bought the double LP. Trying to listen to it turned out to be difficult because of my old view of Rap and that of the world of Hip Hop. But it was also becoming clear that this was truly something of significant interest. However, I just listened to the two discs only once-with some difficulty.

Today, after several weeks, I hesitatingly pulled the album out again. And to my surprise and actually delight hearing it with fresh ears it grabbed me and would not let go. I immediately heard the brilliance of a multi faceted, and to me, all new experience in sound. Not unlike great 20th century or progressive Jazz it evolved from section to section with a plethora of fascinating, yes musical, experiences. Tonal, atonal, percussive, rhythmic, breathing combined with incredible, energetic tongue twisting strings of mostly unintelligible words. And not merely angry yelling.

Sure, a ton of F bombs but words that don’t flow over you like lovely other genres but invade the psyche and don’t let go. Not particularly pleasant but gripping and interesting in its complexity. Words delivered with such power and drive which acted as a rhythmic counterpoint. It was impossible to turn away or turn off. 
And speaking of turned off, the experience was the opposite of that. Stories of life undeniable human. Yes, driven by bitterness, anger and raw emotion. Impossible to  dismiss it as not deeply felt.

I do think “To Pimp a Butterfly” is unique. But I also believe that there must be much more in this Hip Hop world that has deep musical interest. Some time ago I heard Drake on SNL perform a song that was amazing though not really Rap. Rather an advanced and unconventional musical form. I hear similar musical threads throughout “Pimp”. I did get a CD of Drake. “Scorpion”. I also could not absorb it in my first listen. I look forward to the next, fresh listen. I did try to hear several YouTubes of some very successful Rap artists. They mostly lacked the interesting musical themes threaded through. “Pure Rap” with just the rhythmic words-not my cup of tea. But a musically valid form none the less.

mglik

Just checked 2Pac… disappointed. I see that he sold 75 million records worldwide.

Surely, can’t really hear what an artist is like only hearing a few minutes of 1 song.

But in checking out recommendations of ones to hear, none have the creative progression of Kendrick Lamar. I understand that the world of Hip Hop is vast.

Please give me a list of some artist/song suggestions that are truly sophisticated and interesting. The monotone raps just don’t do it for me. Especially when they don’t particularly pay attention to the musical threads. That is, incorporating the rap into the overall soundscape.

....and dat's th' truoth, youth....(lisp rap) ...you heard it hear, firsth... ;)

@dabel ...y'all had it comin' to ya', atcha', in your face, space, interfaced & interlaced....😏😁
(The sharp and lit amongst may have noticed a thematic 'twin' shared by 'Knock You Out' & 'Nobody Speak'...

Both start within & without of a ring...the 2nd a spoof of Dr. Strangelove, better lit?

The opening 'gestures', both lead to strife of their type.  But which violence do you prefer?

Both end with a 'take out the trash' downer, one for Debbie & one for ma...

@sonic79 ...and Thank You for that....*G*  I'm in need of a 'loud fix' on a snow isolation sort of daze... ; )

and @rixthetrick...and they're getting to look a bit better while doing just that... ;)

I, and I'll assume that a number of us have had the 'mixed mas of music' absorbed in our lifeform spans...

I know I have...survived them all, so far ("...Death Metal doesn't stop him!  Nothing!  He finds 'beauty' in the chirping of a modem!  We're doomed....and confused..."

All genres have their peaks and valleys.
Just because I like to clip the hillsides at very high BPM rates and bass boosted up 'nuff to dust the woofer cones doesn't make monstrous....much..... 😏

asvjerry

Appreciate your post but have no idea of what you are saying.

Can you reiterate in more a more understandable manner?

I am sincerely interested in what you are trying to say.

@mglik , you might take a look at MF DOOM's album called "Madvillainy." A relatively easy introduction to that masterpiece is the song "All Caps." It's splendid, smart, and poignant. And it's very short to boot! It's also self-evidently music. You might even recognize some of the songs that he's sampling.

If you want to gets a sense of his "sophistication," you might look at the long piece in the New Yorker by Ta-Nahesi Coates ("The Mask of Doom") or the "Appraisal" in the New York Times following his death about a year ago. It's not hard to find laudatory, insightful commentary on his work.