A different world

For decades I have struggled to get digital even close to comparable to analog. Then finally a couple years ago after lots of upgrading and experimentation I succeeded. Streaming is equally satisfying with analog, very, very comparable. The full soundstage, instruments suspended in space, tonal balance, dead silent background, and details of brass cymbals … etc. Red Book CDs through my CD player are bested by my streamer with Qobuz or Tidal with hi-Rez versions.

A new world. It takes a while to get it. No longer confined to music you “own” to play over and over. Replay is supplanted by exploration. You love an new (or old album) and hit, “add to library”. It is yours.

So, HiFi+ magazine has an article on building a European 21st Century Jazz Library. I just start with the first album in the list and listen (add to library), the 2nd album (add to library), the third… the forth, fifth… a whole new category of incredible music to sit along side Miles Davis and Hank Moberly. Just a couple days in the life of a audiophile streamer. I could have never predicted this as a possibility ten years ago.

You love music? The goal of having an infinite audiophile library is now possible. It is possible at any high end level… just requires knowledge that it can be done… and I guess give up the idea that there is something special about your CD collection, or players.

I have a 2,000 vinyl albums, play them, usually one a day. They are fun, occasionally sound ever slightly better… but not significantly, I like them for nostalgic reasons.

ghdprentice

I am all in on streaming as well for this very reason. I made a significant leap by adding a stand alone DAC in the chain. I bought a used Aqua La Voce S2 that does PCM only as I have no DSD nor feel the need to. It is a lovely sounding bit of kit that has certainly bridged the divide between digital and analog.

Currently streaming via Bluesound Node 2i. I am using a Geistnote digital coax from there to my DAC. What other suggestions or things I need to do to make it top notch?

@dadork,

You have a pretty awesome DAC, one of my favorites. The Node 2i is decent but you are going to appreciate your La Voce S2 even more with a player like LinQ. I know there are other inexpensive options but nothing else will sound anything like a pairing of LinQ and La Voce especially through its I2S digital interface. There is go, one and done instead of monkeying around with anything else :-)

Also, what have you done to isolate noise on your Ethernet (between your router and Node 2i)?

@lalitk That's the area where I am least knowledgeable. I am running a 35' Bluejeans Cable Co Cat 6 from my router directly to the Bluesound. What do you suggest?

@dadork

That’s great that you’re using a direct ‘wired’ connection between router and Node 2i. I would recommend adding a passive filter like upcoming Muon Streaming Filter from Network Acoustics. I have not heard it yet, but as per my conversation with Rich at Network Acoustics it’s a definite improvement upon already excellent ENO Filter. So I would wait to buy anything else until Muon is available. And then there are additional benefits of adding a Ethernet switch but I defer this upgrade until you get a high quality player like LinQ. The Ethernet switch improvements are mixed bag, some hear positive results and others do not.

I have upgraded from ENO filter to Telegartner M12 switch (you can read further about it in my virtual system) but a straight forward passive filter like Muon should be your next step until you’re ready to upgrade your Streaming player. Then we can talk about adding a high quality Ethernet switch in your ethernet signal path. Hope this helps!

I remember a commercial on TV about 20 years ago. A customer is sitting at the counter in a diner with a juke box menu in front of him. The waitress says "every song ever recorded". I thought "whoa!". Guess it has come to pass...