China built tube amps

Well I had an interesting conversation today. I contacted a large dealer and let him know I would like to buy a certain integrated tube amplifier that is made in China. I was told he wouldn't sell me one. He said they are all junk.  Prima Luna, Line Magnetic, Cayin, etc, etc, he said forget it. If you want a tube amplifier buy an American or European built unit that can be serviced.

So, I am new to valve amplifiers and I want to try one to understand what they're all about and sort of get my feet wet with tube rolling etc. I don't want to spend a lot of money at first which is why I was looking at Chinese built integrateds. So my question is, without getting into any particular brand other than what I have already mentioned, what is your experience with Chinese built tube amps? As a whole are they reliable? Am I wasting my money if I buy one according to this dealer? I have to admit I was rather taken aback by how adamant he was. Thoughts anyone?

128x128falconquest

Most Expensive Teas In the World ; Da-Hong Pao Tea – $1.2 million per kilo ; Tieguanyin Tea - $3,000 per kilo ; Panda Dung Tea - $70,000 per kilo.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I like their tea. Panda Dung tea is my favorite. They ain't savin' Pandas because they're cute. They want their $hit so, some nitwit somewhere else in the world will buy it for 70,000 per 2.2 lbs. 

I buy Chinese cables all the time. Best deal on the planet. NO I don't buy, cars, equipment, or anything over 200.00.

My TV is the exception. Samsung. SACDs are Sony. Where they were or are made I don't give a crap. I don't watch TV. I watch elections, concerts and Billy Graham recording I have. 40 years now.. NO TV..

Hyundai is a wonder to me. I've never seen such a crap company to work with. They could find or make just about any part for their heavy equipment in under a week, unless it had to be cast. 6 months I kid you not. Cat 2 months maybe. Their engines won't pass emission standards in the EU or the US. Fine for China and South Korea, though. :-)

I could alway get them going until the next time, I just never felt good that I did. Cat 3 times the life, Liebherr 4 times the life, John Deere 4 times the life. 10,000 hours is a push. 40,000 hours and a breakdown on a Liebherr means the hour meter is on the second go around. Not the first.. 140,000 hours. I can say the Cat or Cummins engine would last through 3 chassis overhauls. They wear you out replacing STUFF.

Chinese Heavy Equipment used a lot of Cummins engine for their heavy equipment, Direct copy except metric. Funniest thing I ever seen. Kobelco and Komatsu did it for 25+ years so they could pass US, EU emission standards.

I've had to work Kobelco engineers for an extended time too. Their travel mechanics are a pretty talented bunch. As good as I've ever seen. The funny part about their mechanics was the jokes about tools. Ribbing each other about their cheap Chinese tools, polishing their hard earned Snap-on wrenches..:-) While I polished up my German made Valadium wrenches.. They liked Edsels and Studebakers too. LOL. ALL mechanics are weird. I'm glad I retired from being "Kinda" weird..

No tube amps from China But I do have 4 2.1 50x2 100x1 amps I paid 29.00 each for. I can't break one. I been trying for 3 years.. 29.00 each. I have a Mac that's 60+ years old and one 12AX7 tube made in Germany took a crap 15 years ago. :-)

Maybe some CaCa tea for the round eye.. Wink Wink :-) Nixon loved Da-Hong Pao Tea. They gave him 2 oz at the time..

Regards

Don't get freaked out by the China amps.  Some are really good values and will blow away even those who think they are the best audiophiles.  Match them properly with some really efficient speakers such as Klipsch Heritage JBL, Tekton and you will be very happy.    Willsenton makes some great amps for value.  The R8 has point to point wiring build where as  even the Carver Crimson has a PCB board .   There is a great review from Jim at Tube Lab where he shows the build on your tube.  Roll some NOS tubes in and you will be amazed .    Service could be an issue but a local guy should be able to work on the amp if something happens.  I actually have two Chinese AMPS and both sound great and have had no issues.    Check the reviews on You Tube .  The store guy that wont sell you some amps is just because he hates competing with value shoppers.     Most of the other gear out there is made in China anyway so why an issue?  

May first tubey was a Stereo 70.  Got it for $4.  Must've been worth at least $5.  Think I must've either given it away or thrown it in the trash when I was done with it.  Many moons ago.

OP: i know who you're talking about. he pretty much told you verbatim what he told me. and he carries Chinese amps!!! how does that work??

Oh no! Another silly MIC thread.

The anti MIC's must have a special USA made keyboard computer setup to type their nonsense.

Let's see how long this one lasts.