Advice needed on power cables, wall warts, conditioning, electrical outlet

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate any advice on power cables, wall warts, power conditioning, better electrical outlet,  etc. 

If I have a power conditioner, with all of my equipment plugged into it with their stock cables, would upgrading the individual components’ power cable, wall wart etc. really help to improve the sound quality?  If yes, in what order of priority would you suggest?  Looking to make some low/moderate cost "tweaks" where it makes sense.

FWIW, here’s my setup:

• 15 amp dedicated electrical circuit with standard home grade grounded electrical outlet.
  • Furman PL Plus-C power conditioner (repurposed from my music equipment studio rack) plugged into this AC outlet.  (Furman has a hardwired power cable, so I cannot easily swap it out)
  • All of my audio equipment plugs into the Furman: e.g. integrated tube amp, DAC, Sound Expander, ethernet to optical converter, Sonore Optical Rendu (feeds the DAC via USB), and Small Green Computer Roon server.
  • All components have their respective manufacturers’ standard issue power cord or wall wart.  (Sonore Optical Rendu with their Small Green Computer standard LPS).
  • TrendNet ethernet switch, not on the conditioner and uses wall wart.  CAT 8 to upstairs to my Asus router also wall wart and not on conditioner.
  • Asus router to Verizon FIOS ONT via CAT 8 ethernet.

Any advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

bogbeat

To learn more about transformers, you can go to Transformer School.

BTW, Noratel Group is the company that took over Plitron.

Hi @cakyol ,

For tube amplifiers that don't need a lot of power toroid power transformer is not the best solution. 

Most of tube amplifiers (including most expensive) don't use toroid power transformer. Toroidal power transformers are used only in some budget tube amplifiers or in  some very height power tube amplifiers. 

Hi @alexberger,

Our suggestion for using a transformer, especially a toroidal transformer is for the purposes of isolation and smoothing. Both SS and tube amplifiers, low or high power, can always benefit from the low impedance mains supply an isolation transformer brings, regardless of whether it needs to be used IN the amplifier. We were suggesting it on the MAINS side, not necessarily IN the amplifier as a part of it.

Speaking of power, have any of you experienced Furutech's in-wall power cable, - FURUTECH ALPHA-CB10 Power Cable OCC Copper Alpha Treatment 6.23mm² Ø5.5mm?

It is really more like a hook-up wire in that it is a single run, meaning you would have to double up for power or speaker cables.  However, it provides a lot of their top OCC alpha copper for not really a lot of money.  At about $43/meter you could do a 2M, 10awg power cord for about $170 plus plugs, or two 8-foot, 10awg speaker cables for $430 plus connectors.  The XLPE (Cross-linked Polyethylene) insulation/covering has a relatively low dielectric constant of 2.2/2.3 compared to Teflon at 2.1.  I can't seem to find this cable available in the USA - the linked Audiophonics source I believe is in France.

Before buying power cables for individual equipment consider the power cable for your power conditioner.  The power for all the equipment plugged into the power conditioner is fed through that one power cable.  This is also the first thing that your power conditioner sees and matters most, followed by the wall outlet, house wiring, the drop from the utility pole, and so on.