VPI Aries 3 Questions - Looking to make a switch

I have a VPI Aries 3 turntable with the following upgrades. Periphery Clamp, Mini HRX Feet, Super Platter, XLR Junction Box, SDS Speed Controller, Single Flywheel motor. I am presently running a Lyra Delos with 200 hours on it. I love the sound of the turntable, but it is simply too big in my opinion. 

I am pondering trading it for a VPI Classic 3 or similar. I also can get a good deal on an AMG Giro. I am wondering how the performance of my current rig would compare with a smaller footprint VPI like a classic 3. I don't want to take a step backwards. I was also wondering how my current rig would compare in performance to the AMG Giro.

I was also wondering what my rig is worth with and without the Lyra Delos? 

Thank you.

pilrem

You have a great table and set-up. The super platter has a non-inverted bearing which is superior to later VPI designs IMO. It's hard to know exactly the nature of the AMG bearing from the printed descriptions in the reviews, all of them merely repeating AMG's publicity.  However since the bearing is actually one of the 3 feet, I assume it is also a non-inverted bearing.   A platter, by the way, is supposed to be dead. Otherwise you'll have resonances.

If you haven’t done it in a while you might want to check the bearing for wear both the ball and the plate. It can easily be brought to better than new.

It’s not clear what you would expect to improve with the AMG TT.

The Classic offers no significant improvement over the Aries 3 - you might go backwards.

The weak point is the VPI arm - why don't you look into upgrading the VPI arm to a non VPI arm & new cartridge  on the Aries. That will give you maximum improvement for the dollars invested in my view.

The AMG Giro is underwhelming - very smooth, but lacking punch and dynamics, despite being better built than both the VPI's.

Thank you for the responses. I do love the sound of my current Aries 3 through my system; ARC PH-8, ARC REF-6, ARC REF75se, AQ Niagara 5000, AQ William Tell Zero and Bass. AQ Waters. Aurender A10, Vandersteen Quattro CT. This system has nice synergy.

The Tonearm that I presently have is the JMW 10.5i with Nordost wires. Would a gimbaled arm or fat boy be an upgrade?

Any recommendations on cart and tonearm upgrades? Perhaps I will check this out because a move to a Classic 3 or AMG Giro would not be a step forward?

Any opinion on how much benefit I am getting from the single flywheel motor? Would there be a noticeable loss if I went back to a standard motor?

By single flywheel motor I assume you mean the motor and flywheel together in a single case. I would not give up mine as I have always found that anything making the speed of the the TT more constant can generally be heard as an improvement. Are you concerned about its size?

In any event you can experiment by detaching the flywheel and arranging the motor temporarily so that the TT is run from the motor alone. Play some solo piano music before and after the change.

I can’t really advise on available arms. It was a long while ago that I switched a 12" metal arm tub for a 12" 3d arm tube and was happy with the result and was able to sell the old one. Then I went to the 2nd pivot (with a ruby point) and was even happier. An advantage was cost as I mounted the arm on the same base. Had to get a new spike though, one without the damping well. You might get that thrown in with the deal. I did.

I probably shouldn’t comment without having owned a VPI, but there’s no way I would go from any Aries to any kind of Classic. My old dealer Pete of Audio Atlanta (who I trust in all things analog) got frustrated with the direction VPI took when going from the Scoutmaster / Aries lines to the Classics. And since another commenter mentioned SOTA - I bet he’d be blown away by the stuff SOTA is doing right now; major tech and material upgrades with the latest series. And with a much better "classic table" aesthetic than any VPI Classic, IMO. So they’re definitely worth a look.

That said, I love the look of the old Aries / HR-X series. I’ve heard my friend’s HR-X and it’s a sweet table. The Aries 3 looks just like an HR-X Junior. I considered one strongly, before I bought a Clearaudio Innovation. You might consider keeping it while upgrading to the 3D arm, which is very nice - it even did a great job running my Koetsu Rosewood Platinum (I didn’t expect a VPI unipivot to do well there, but it did). I haven’t heard the Fatboy or gimbal version, which may be even better - but the Reference (?) 3D arm is already very good. Surely space can’t be so much at a premium; what’s the actual footprint difference between your Aries 3 and a Classic?

I think the Aries / HR-X will be considered the "real" classics of the VPI line.