Integrated Amplifiers - Luxman vs Pass Labs

Hello All,

This is my first post here at Audiogon.

My current amplifier is the Luxman L-550axii and my speakers are the Marten Django L and Coherent Audio 15 (coaxial speakers with 15" woofer and high efficiency of approximately 98db).

I'm contemplating making a move with my integrated.  I'm considering the Luxman 590axii or one of the current Pass Labs Integrated's.  I haven't had a chance to listen to the 590 and I've never listened to a Pass product before and the opportunity just doesn't present itself to be able to demo any at a dealer's or in-home.  

I'm hoping those that have heard both the Luxman and any current Pass Integrated could chime in with their thoughts about them and the direction you would go given my speakers. 

In the future, I may look at replacing the Coherent speakers with Audio Note AN-J or AN-E.  Any experience out there with Luxman or Pass Labs and Audio Note speakers??

Thank you to all who chime in with your experience and thoughts!

me_ohmy

Sory up feel that way but if iwas looking I wouldn’t care and if I got turned on to a new product that I didn’t know about do you think k that person may be happy?

Also the 507 is discontinued

The OP’s question is Luxman vs Pass Labs amps.  Based on the listening I have done, I prefer Luxman amps because they sound more musical to my ears.  

However, in any case, I suggest you audition both amps and then decide.  As noted in the responses you received, there are many other available amps.   

@bigkidz +1 

It is so true that the sound is coming out of the system which contains a lot of things.

I try to replace my 4tc speaker cable with 12tc speaker cable, which is much heavy. I think it will be better sound, you know what? The sound is more tube like,but slow.

I can not stand with the slow sound and I changed back and found the original feeling. What feeling? Once I have the time, I won't stop listening.That is really magic things to me.

OP:

I don't know that I'd say Ayre sound is fuller.  It's ... different... almost alien.  It sounds as if it sucks noise out of the room and everything is coming out of a perfect void.  It's an effect you really have to listen to.

I like them a lot, but budget, opportunity and meters landed me with Luxman. :)

Best,

Erik

Hi @bjesien

I’ve heard Pass in about a dozen situations but can only remember one specifically. I’ll explain in a bit.

At an audiophile’s home near San Francisco I got to hear a full Pass stack with Lawrence audio. It was OK. I mean, I’ve heard many Class D amps from IcePower or A/B from Parasound which would have equaled or bettered what I heard.

In another situation I was at a dealer in the greater Boston area, kind of in the boonies. Unremarkable music presentation is how I would describe it. Everyone around me was excited and I was... meh.

I also went to a show sponsored by Pass near the SF airport where in about 80% of the rooms the amps were Pass. I can’t remember everyone but I can say that the rooms that did not have Pass sounded a lot better. In general the pass sound was scratchy and lean to my ears.

The best I can tell from Stereophile measurements of Pass amps is that the euphonic distortion they are adding is absolutely not working for me. Maybe also a preference for big floppy woofers.  I've never heard Pass with big horn loaded systems myself so I have to go by what I've been told.

I know my view is very much in the minority and often people take me as attacking Nelson himself, and I'm not doing any such thing.  The gear just doesn't go anywhere I want to be.