How important Is shielding with RCA wires? (Ethan Winer, new video)

Mr. Winer is out with a new video. FYI.

128x128hilde45

@oldhvymec --- try engaging with "Mr. Winters" in an audio forum. You will get thrown the famous Dunning-Kruger Graph in your face pronto! 😁😂,

Oh....

Not all cables are equal because they measure the same.. Not by a long shot. Cable construction isn’t making a pretty cable (though it helps) there is a LOT of tech in cable construction. Pinwheel, Helix, multi alloy, Harp, mag/tech, on and on and on..

That can be easily disproved with his null tester machine 😉

he one thing all of his type agree on, that I agree with, "you don't need to spend a fortune on cables to have great sound"

Yeah me too! He and I have a very important thing in common: we both like Jack Daniels.

That was a rushed and limited test case scenario.

Put your ear directly in front of the tweeter and woofer - listen closely and carefully; particularly when placing the unshielded interconnects adjacent to other noisy electrical cords and open jacks on the back of the receiver-amplifier (yes, where you actually plug things into), not just waiving the cable around in the air. Duh.

It can be worse with big A/V receivers too. The "noise" is there if you listen carefully. Some people understand attention to detail better than others before making videos. Not in this case.

Good for you, I don't drink. Cat died 6 years ago I had a shot of single malt. 10 year or so before that.. If I use wine to cook with I'll taste it. If I don't like the taste I don't use it. I use a lot of aged vinegars in cooking.. :-) I do make up Vanilla every 5 years or so. Kettle one and a shot of 50 year old cognac in 8 oz. 10 grade A beans Madagascar is the bomb.. Brazil and Mexico has some really good Vanilla too.

I've had to used a scope and null testing equipment a few times in CANN bus work. Because you couldn't inspect the cable it was covered in grout. There was a way to check for issues between wires. That is the only reason I've ever used null testing in the field. How do check for a smeared wire? The looms were 100K one of a kind 6 week wait. They had spare wires in the loom to get going.. 

The only reason to null test. Safety. I have never needed to use it for any other reason. Absolute conductivity and NO migration of any kind (a frayed or god forbid two wires touching) on a 125 foot personnel boom. They use to be all analog. They sucked in the 70-80s

Audiophile cables, not so much.. LOL Null testing proves you know HOW to null test. It says nothing of a cable's inherent sound qualities.

@decooney  Thanks -- you're engaging his claims. Appreciated.

@thyname I never said your comment was an insult. I said your comment was ad hominem. In particular, it is a circumstantial ad hominem with an implicit appeal to motive. It's a fallacy. If instead you had commented something like, "I stopped paying attention to Mr. Winer years ago" or "I can't be bothered with Mr. Winer," or even just "I don't like Ethan," you'd be on solider ground.

It’s safer to be shielded....just like being vacinnated......or a condom, except you only have to do it once.

Non-shielded, POTENTIALLY more problematic and can be for real and easily heard (or not so easily even in other cases) as I related above. YMMV. It all depends. Like radio reception. Like most things.

I am very proud of my $30 mu metal foil shielding solution for my phono section. Allows me to use the DNMs which I strongly recommend. I think I will brag about it here until no end now like some...or one...we all know who I’m talking about? Oh wait, I did it 10 years ago..........is it too late?