Why I'm not adding a sub to my 2-way monitors for music

I've updated my blog post with more data, more analysis and the conclusion that in my particular case I do not need a subwoofer.  I encourage everyone who is on the fence about adding a subwoofer or not to read and comment.  I think that either way you'll be able to make more informed buying and configuration choices.

Everyone's situation is different but I hope the post helps you get to the right conclusions.

erik_squires

Dear @erik_squires : I’m not against what you already achieved because at the end is what you like and what you think.

I added subs to my really full range speakers for one main reason that name is: lower IMD. My ADS per sé goes down to 16hz but you have to pay a very high price for that: high IMD.

You have a 2-way speaker designs and this could means that you crossover 2.5khz to 3.5khz ( more or less ) from the woofer to the tweeter.

In any two way speaker design the IMD is rally high and this is the reason why you in reality need a pair of subs: to lower dramatically the IMD and when you do that the " ligth " comes out and your room/system will shines as ever before and as a side advantage is that now you can go deeper and with better quality performance in your bass range that’s where the MUSIC foundation lives and obviously that the electronics of your main speakers will works with out any kind of distress and with higher headroom and you don't need to measure anything because the best " measure " to that IMD are the IMD comparison you make trhough listening tests before and after. You can tame the IMD but you can't disappeared by room treatment or any other way because the IMD is developed by the speaker 2-way woofer.

Imagine your today IMD levels in your speakers when the movements on the woofer reproducing 35hz-40hz at the same time needs to reproduce frequency range above to at least 1khz ! ! ? ? ?

Tha’s my take for subs In any passive speakers.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

@rauliruegas

You are absolutely correct. More cone excursion = more IM distortion and more Doppler effects. Taking that demand from the main amp and main speakers is a really wonderful thing.

I do think my system would sound better with a subwoofer for music, I just got it to sound so good already I wasn't willing to add the subwoofer.  In my case it's a complex undertaking because of the way my 5.1 and music systems are merged together I had a choice of using the sub for movies or music and movies won.

I will probably still attempt this later this year. :)

Hello,

I use two of the  JL Audio F110 subs with the JL Audio CR1 crossover. My speakers are rated down to 25hz at -3db.  I am one of those goofballs who use their two channel system as part of the surround system. Both my two channel system and the CR1 crossover have home theater bypass so I can use the JL Audio subs with both systems. In my room which is 24’x13.8’x8’. I have two REL T9 subs which I will add later. I mostly listen to 2 channel split between tt and my DAC. It all sounds really, really good. I have found that the subs make everything sound more real because bass adds dimension and space because it enhances or lets you realize time. I sometimes like to listen at low volume. By adding the subs it lets me get great dynamic range. I know subs are heavy and you don’t want to pay shipping to try them out. If you live in the Chicagoland area this store lets you try before you buy. 
holmaudio.com

This is a great way to see if subs can make a difference. I know everyone has their preferences. By demoing in your home you can make up

your own mind. I hope this helps. 

Dear @erik_squires  : I understand your point. Now the side advantage of subs is not only to go deeper in the bass range but with a better quality levels. Anyway your needs do to that 5.1 makes the subs a hard call but I think you will solve it.

R.

Dear @hshifi  : I understand your need too and I know very well the well regarded JL and Rel subs that hmore marketing that realities. What am I saying with realities?, example the JL THD is over 5% against the 0.5% in the Velodyne and Rel is not way better than JL in that very critical regards. So you have land down there to improve MUSIC and HT enjoyment the better.

R.