Guess How Big My Speakers Are

If you read any of my threads on here or looked at my virtual system you probably already know the answer to this question, but for those who have not, try this as a thought exercise. Given this plot alone how big a speaker do you think this is?

Frequency response plot showint extension to 20 Hz

Hints:

• 2’ from sides, 1.5’ from rear
  • Ported
  • Not horns
  • No EQ applied. This is the natural in room response using short sine sweeps.
  • For a living room this is a well treated room with GIK soffit traps, bass traps and diffusion panels strategically placed.

I’ll reveal my answer if we get 5 guesses or more. :)

erik_squires

@herman 

What can I say, I have measured using OmniMic and Room EQ Wizard with two different calibrated mics.  The two mics were in agreement except for the range from 20Hz to 30 Hz where UMIK was 3-5 dB down @ 20Hz  depending on exactly how I placed the mics. It then merged with the measurements with OmniMic at 30.

I even tried using two different DAC's, one direct and one via Roon.  This may not be lab quality work but I'm satisfied it's in the ballpark.

This discussion reminds me of a 1987 Stereophile article by Martin Colloms. Basically, it talks about how to optimize bass response through room positioning. Nothing groundbreaking, but a good reminder:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/who-stole-bass-no-one-stole-bass-page-4

Hi @herman - Yes, I can hear 20 Hz.  I have to turn up the volume a bit, I feel it a lot sooner than I hear it. It does not sound like chuffing or distortion.

It's real.  It's not as prounounced as 32 Hz, as you'd guess from the graphs but it's really there.

This was played from digitally created test tones.