Magnepan Service HORRIBLE???

I am now into my 5th week waiting for Magnepan to evaluate shipping damage to a pair of MG 3.7's. My wife and I paid Craters and Freighters to build a custom wood crate for them so they would not be damaged further by the trip from Richmond to Minnesota.

I know everyone will say they are a small company and I need to be patient but this is ridiculous to my mind. I have called 5-6 times and the seller has also called. The last time I called Shelia acted like she had never spoken to me before despite the previous phone conversations.

I know the MG 3.7's are supposed to be sensational speakers and I bought my first pair of Magnepans in 1975 but I am seriously considering flipping these if Magnepan ever inspects and repairs them. The aggravation simply is not worth it to me.

A month and I can not even get anyone at Magnepan to open the crate, inspect them, and give me a damage estimate to provide to FedEx who is ready to pay the claim. Unfortunately, they can't pay until Magnepan provides an estimate of the damage and then I have to wait for the actual repair.

I never thought I would feel this way about Magnepan but this current situation has changed my mind to a huge extent. This is just ridiculous the way I see it and I can see no good excuse for it.
etmerritt33
I'm not sure I understand the situation. Are you saying you bought a pair of used Maggies and that they were damaged when the seller shipped them to you, prompting you to ship them on to Magnepan for the evaluation?

If so, I wonder whether Magnepan is put off that you purchased a pair of used speakers rather than new. Just a thought.

-Bob
Surprised by your troubles, often it is the smaller companies that will be most quick to respond to a situation. Even if there response was to give you a time frame or they just don't want to bother with your problem. This a courtesy no matter where the speakers begun life with you. A little attention on there part could pave the way for future sales. By yourself and others.
I was a Magnepan dealer for many years and can truly say that Magnepan is a top-notch company, founded on customer service.

I would call and ask for either Steve Winey or Wendell Diller and relate your story to them. I can guarantee you, they will get to the bottom of this.

Magnepan really is an excellent, outstanding company.
Curious how cynical business will make you about stories like this. I'd bet Etmerritt33 has not given Magnepan any indemnification if litigation results from Magnepans findings. I've had a couple of occasions to send MG's in for repair over the past 25 years, no issues. But then I had no potential litgation complications, just straight forward its broke, fix it.
I think the explanation is that the Midwest is currently in the grip of a terrible drought, so everyone is kinda touchy.