Subwoofer question

I read in an older thread in which someone was describing how a "swarm" sub system was being installed, that the individual subs were placed close to the wall and facing the wall. This last part triggered my question which is:

What is the rationale behind facing the subs toward the wall?

Many thanks, Fred

fred_s

I keep yapping about ’stereo pairs’ of subs, front facing, no ports, locate adjacent to mains: giving/preserving bass directionality, by virtue of both the fundamentals and overtones of those fundamental notes.

Some of the best statement systems have front facing subs or woofer towers for the exact reason you mention (it works better). I will never sell my Infinity RS1B woofer towers...unless maybe for a set of Genesis woofer towers.

@russ69: As a fellow owner (former in my case) of the RS-1b loudspeaker, let me recommend you try to hear one the Rythmik servo-feedback subs, which replaced the 1b woofer towers in my system.

Statement systems have great big front facing subs because they are statement systems. Music systems not trying to make a statement put the subs asymmetrically different distances from corners because they are more about the sound than the statement.

I would say it is like race cars have wings so guys put wings on their Camry because: race car. Except wings on race cars actually work. Stacks of front facing subs are there because they look good. Audiophile expect it. And it is way easier to give audiophiles what they expect than educate on what actually works.

Case in point, 20 years after DBA and still hardly anyone gets it.

+1 bdp24. Same here I used Infinity servos for a long time. Rythmik is on top of the servo game. There is a little bit of a supply issue as of late but, well worth the wait or step up or down in your plate amp choice.. The best I've ever found. NO they don't work with other subs at all, defeats the whole purpose of using servos. One or the other not both. It's like using a fixed port with a passive radiator one or the other. Conventional subs with correction or not, just a different animal, Swarm, DBA I don't care it's different than a GR or Rythmik servo system.

You can DBA GRs no problem, they been doing that for 6 year at least. Doubles, Triples or Quad towers. Milti-placement to smooth the bass. Pretty amazing actually. Not cheap and it does take a little work just to get to primer.. Well worth it for the best of the best.

No I don't sell or make money from their stuff.. Sure like it though..:-)

Right @oldhvymec, Danny Richie of GR Research always uses four subs, both at hi-fi shows and in the system at his place. A pair of ob's somewhere in the front of the room, and a pair of sealed subs (the F12G) in the back. His room was voted Best-Bass-At-The-Show at numerous RMAF's.