What makes the biggest difference in sound quality?

When making changes or adding things to your system, what makes the bigger difference in sound quality on preamp‘s and power amps? Interconnects, speaker cables, power cords, or fuses?

128x128ted_denney

I don't believe using a full loom of cables from just one manufacturer makes sense regardless of the fact that we have one such punting his product here. Is this self promotion actually allowed?

The idea is put forward as staying with a certain house sound. When designing for instance a speaker cable, the purity of wire, the metallurgy of the connectors, the dielectric properties of the insulation and decorative outer covering all impact on the result. Now look at a USB cable, with different power requirements and vastly different types of connectors. How does the designer create his cables to adhere to his idea of the ideal 'house sound' ?

After sorting out the room which is paramount one can then try different cables, fuses, amps etc. Without taming the room by reducing the overly long time the sound takes to decay which is adding smear and obscuring detail, any  attempt at improving the system is doomed. For example, sound way too bright...add tubes and on and on.

You will never hear any manufacturer telling you to: "get back to me after you've treated your room" What you get is: "Buy a full loom of our cables to sort out all your problems.

Happy new year to all 🍺 🍹

My two cents here:

1 Room

2 Speakers

3 Source

4 Preamp/Power Amp (depending on speakers, a good integrated with few watts can be enough)

5 Power cords

6 Speakers cables

You say, Teddy, biggest and baddest and most wonderfullest in my system:

LPS fitted with

Blue Synergistic fuses.

You say, Teddy, biggest and baddest and most wonderfullest in my system:

Minimum 300 watts LPS fitted with

Blue Synergistic fuses.

Once you get the room right, with a bunch of Ethan’s acoustic panels, it does not really matter what speakers and gear you use. It will sound fabulous! 🙄🙄🙄

Walmart $49 DVD player, kiddie ladders as “speaker” stands, etc. It will all sound the same as a $xxxx,xxx,xxxxx system