Raven Audio and Beyond...

Hello,
I'm hearing from a couple of you all about the RavenAudio product line.
I'm fairly new into listening/building a system for audio.
My current plan/aim is to build components for "rest of life" usage.  I'm not well to do and am looking into the Nighthawk and Blackhawk integrated tube amps.  
Currently, I have a Bifrost 2 Dac, Rega P2 turntable and Dynaudio X14s running out a cheap integrated Pioneer tuner/amplifier.
As I've been considering my next couple moves, Integrated Amp and upgrade in speakers, I bounce between the "first" move being either amp or speakers.
Lots of folks mention speakers first, rest after.  Since I appreciate the X14s for the limited sound, I wonder what kind of sense it makes to bump up the amp, integrate a couple subs and seek the "finish" speakers next.  After that, play with the rest of the components.

Currently, the room we listen to music in is 12' by 25', open frame ceilings that are 8.5' high.  

My questions are this:
What's your take on taking on the amplifier first, and setting up the rest after?
Am I going to notice the X14s responding well enough to help me learn more about the direction of my speaker choice later?

If I have some time before I can fully upgrade the speakers, would integrating a sub amp with the subs be a positive move?

FWIW, I plan to keep the x14s and other requisite equipment for the most part to set up/gift to others as I can.  I am interested in long-term enjoyment for music I love and a love for exploring music yet to be heard.

Thank you

mijale

Your Dynaudio speakers are only 85dB sensitivity. The Raven is an outstanding amp. I have The Blackhawk, and would wholeheartedly recommend either Nighthawk or Blackhawk as your "end game" amp. 

Which to do first, hard to say that it matters. Your Dynaudio are only 85dB sensitivity, which is very low to be using with the 20W Raven. HOWEVER, we had some 87dB speakers here and running with my Blackhawk in my room (bigger than yours) they CAME ALIVE with the Blackhawk! We had no problem reaching a very satisfying volume level. So if you do decide to get the amp first you can look on the bright side and finally hear the Dynaudio sound their very best. Just bearing in mind having to crank the volume up a lot and not listen to them "loud" loud but just pleasingly loud, if you get my drift.

Then in terms of speakers if you can match the Raven up with Tekton Double Impact, now you are talking some incredible good sound for very reasonable money. 

Downside of doing speakers first is like this. The Raven will make your current speakers sound fantastic. But the DI will not make your amp sound fantastic, or anything else for that matter, they will instead let you hear exactly what they sound like. Which may not be that good. But a lot of people hear the sound coming out of the speakers, and credit (or blame) the speakers. 

So brace yourself for the reality that your big speaker upgrade (if it is to good speakers like Tekton) reveals as many faults as strengths. I have seen it before, people blame the speakers for the stuff connected to the speakers.

Also the backlog on a Raven is way less than the waiting list on Tekton. So you can get the Raven now, then order the DI and by the time they are ready you will be too?

The only other amp I could recommend in your situation would be the Decware integrated. But Steve's wait list is a year+, and his amp is low power and so absolutely needs you to have the high sensitivity speakers first. 

You have lots of choices. Raven and Tekton are just two. Open up to a much wider range of possibilities than some hyper limited sample size audiophile might suggest, including those who have owned both Raven and Tekton…. and moved on…for a variety of reasons…

First some questions… how loud  do you listen ? do you have a separate phono preamp ? what is your streamer ? Cartridge? …

Enjoy the journey ;-)

BTW, i hear a lovely Dynaudio / sub system with a VTL tube integrated , MoFi Ultradeck and a Directstream DAC every week at my brother in laws..lovely musical system…. Like i said, you have many fine choices..

Jim

If you want to fly with a Raven Nighthawk or Blackhawk you will need new speakers. No matter what James tells you.

May want to look at the Celest speakers from Raven. A friend has them with the Blackhawk and they rock.