Opinions on Pure Audio Project Quintet 15 Horn 1 Please

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for owners or people who've heard the Pure Audio Project Quintet 15 Horn 1. I'm considering purchasing a pair. I'm based in the UK.

My listening tastes are a bit eclectic, but I guess rock and electronica are what I predominately listen to. Room is medium size, 14' x 26 ish

I have a few concerns:
1. They will need a sub or subs.

2. I can't find any measurements, but I think I read on these forums that the horn falls off substantially at 10/11khz & that some people are using super tweeters to compensate.

Can anyone assist please?

Best regards,

Dagda

dagda

there are many folks with great ears, refined tastes, that really like ob speakers, such as the spatial m and x series -- most seem to use tube amps to drive them, which certainly tends to add more flesh and body to mids/voices in comparison to most ss amps

the bass of these ob speakers are truly excellent, fast, deep, tuneful, very natural propogation pattern/bloom, it is an absolutely towering strength of this design, no doubt

but as time passed, i just could not find peace with how the mids (and especially voice, piano, acoustic guitar, woodwinds) were reproduced, and even though my big harbeths and spendors can’t do bass as well as the spatials i had (they’re very good, but not to the exceptional level of the ob’s) to my ear, the big-boy bbc monitors get the midrange really right... and that took priority for me, how i listen

@jjss49 and I had a similar experience. I actually replaced the x3 with cornwalls. I have since moved on to LaScalas but I think the CW IV is the better all around speaker over the spatial. Although I do agree about the outstanding bass reproduction of the X3.

Hmm, I just had good experience listening to Spatial X3, that in comparison to my much modded Klipschorns. Not saying Spatials in this setup superior to what I have, but certainly didn't hear non fleshed out mids. Prima Luna Dialogue Four I modded powering Spatials. I also used Alon OB speakers for years,  I've always enjoyed OB speakers, but then I enjoy horns as well. Pure Audio Project certainly on my radar prior to Klipschorns, I haven't heard so can't help here.

I’m not trying to say the X3 isn’t a good speaker, it certainly is. I was an early adopter and kept mine for a year. Like all good speakers they have shortcomings and you have to decide if the trade off is worth it. I can see them being an end game speaker for some.

I am a fan of open baffle speakers in general and quite liked the Spatials I heard at CAF in 2019. I also heard Pure Audio Project, not sure which model, in the VPI room that year and didn't care for them. All that said you should at least audition them shows are not the greatest place to evaluate speakers and we all hear differently.