Need help choosing a new DAC

With so many options for DACs these days, I'm having a hard time deciding on a new DAC.  Currently considering a MHDT Orchid or Pagoda, Denafrips Pontus II, Benchmark DAC3,  Schitt Yggdrasil, or Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE.  I don't need any options such as volume control, BT, or MQA.  I also prefer musicality over measurements.  I'm currently using a SMSL SU-9, which will be moved over to my office system.  I'm tired of moving it back and forth between systems. My bank account prefers the cost of the Orchid since the other options cost up to twice as much, but I can go as high as $2500.  I mostly steam Qobuz thru a Raspberry Pi 4, but also use a Cambridge Audio CXC v2 CD transport on occasion.  My preamp is a Don Sachs DS2 tube preamp going into a D-Sonic m3a-1200s amp feeding "Gunned" MMGs.  I mostly listen to the Grateful Dead, rock, jazz, and acoustic music. Which DAC should I get and are the any others I should look at? 

terrapin77

It’s not an either or choice when it comes to NOS and DSD. For example, Pontus ii supports both. I still maintain that tubes in a dac are not a good idea when you have more of them down the chain. Either way, all the dacs in your list are excellent. MHDT has a loyal following and for good reason. Good luck!

BTW, when buying DSD it’s important to buy from a place that gets it from the original source or as close to it as possible. For that reason I prefer NativeDSD. But yeah if it’s not a priority for OP then it’s a moot point. 

@arafiq I'm going to audition the DACs before I buy.  As for a tube DAC paired with a tube preamp, I've read a few posts on the forums where the Audio Mirror was used with the same preamp I have.  They loved it!  

@terrapin77 ,

95% of music is recorded at redbook quality. You can find higher rez music on Tidal and Qobuz, but much of it is simply 'remastered' works from an earlier recording.

Auditioning DAC's is probably the best way to find out what is good.

That being said, I would recommend adding the Ayre QB-9 Twenty to your list. You should be able to find one used within your price range.

Bob

@terrapin77

I believe that @mresseguie made some very insightful points. Given your description of what type of sonic presentation you’re seeking the non over sampling (NOS) DAC approach make a lot of sense. As mentioned above the overwhelming format available is Redbook CD. Much of it is well recorded.

I would focus on good quality DACs that strive to extract the musical beauty and naturalness good CD playback is capable of. There is a well made/engineered Swiss made NOS , Merason Frerot DAC. Not a common brand talked about on this forum but worth checking into. It fits well within your budget target. @soix mentioned the Musician Audio Pegasus , also worth investigation.

Charles