How much of High End Audio is Horn Speakers?

An audio friend of mine had been discussing my future speaker purchase. We discussed, Harbeth, Devore, Spendor, Audio Note and other more traditional speaker brands. A week or two later he called an asked me what speakers I had purchased. When I told him Klipsch, there was a little silence on the other end of the line. Our call probably ended a little sooner then usual. I could tell he was disappointed in my purchase. Is it the Klipsch name that illicits this type of response or is it Horn speakers in general? After thinking about some of the other Audiophiles in town, a good deal of them are on the low power high efficiency speaker route and more than a few I know are using Horns. Does anyone know how the high end market share is divided? Is there a stigma associated with certain lower cost Horn speakers? Or is this just Klipsch? I now own a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls and am enjoying the journey associated with tweaking the sound to my taste. Is there an unwritten rule that friends don’t let friends buy Klipsch?

128x128coachpoconnor

And what would "the amount of money spent on horns vs other speakers" tell you, @coachpoconnor? Let's say you are in the distinct minority. Does that diminish the enjoyment of what you have? 

whart-  yes I have been a coach for several years, I have coached Football, Baseball, Soccer and Golf. Also a short stint as AD.. Thankless job. Trying to get out and retire in the next couple of years.

As to your reply, I am also fascinated with the history of Audio.

I have an acquaintance in Kansas who is working on a field coil system and one of these days I’ll make the drive to the middle of Kansas to have a listen. When people discuss horns it would be interesting what the market share is but I guess you would have to define exactly what would qualify as a horn and that would open up another can of worms.

Minority is something I can live with.   I guess I could rationalize it as an exclusive club!

listening to Dick Hyman right now and I’m feeling pretty fortunate.

Klipsch is a top selling brand if not THE top selling brand. What models are considered the top end of audio, I'll leave to someone else. 

I like horns. There is a lot more out there than people think. 90% of the people who own horns and all the other speakers don't post or care to post.

I think the 10% that do post 3 out of 10 do own horns, maybe not AG so much but there are a LOT of Klipsch, Altec, WE, Imperial, and DIY. The comment about the Horns and Japan, it was the same here. It's just who you hang out with. 

I was into making all these weird horns and loading them in a folded baffle, la-te-da. Way over 20 years tinkering, still do from time to time.

The simple answer is horn guys hang out with horn guys. Planar guys hang out with planar guys. Mcintosh guys hang out with Mac guys.. Maybe.. LOL

The common thing between all of us is suppose to be MUSIC, how we get there, that is a personal preference.

Regards