burn in - how important?

Over the years following Agon forums I have read many postings about burn in and been fairly sceptical, as many items I have bought over the years have changed SQ very little or at all, after years of use. Recently I replaced my Rogue Stereo 90 with a used EAR 534 power amp. Out of the box it looked brand new, all nice and shiny. I plugged it into my also fairly recently acquired Aesthetix preamp and was horrified by the thin sound, little or no soundstage and was relieved I hadn't yet sold the Rogue. Now I knew why it had been up for sale or did I. Maybe I was too lazy to plug in the Rogue again but I left the EAR in place and after about 30 hours I noticed a difference, more depth, wider soundstage, Now after about 100 hours - WOW huge soundstage, both depth and width. great tight bass, shimmering highs. Now I know why Tim De Paravicini was regarded as a genius and sorry for the seller who probably had not given the unit a chance to burn in properly. I decided to biwire it into my ML Vantage speakers and cut out the second Acurus a250 amp which I was using in biamped format. There was hardly any difference, maybe quieter and more detailed overall. Who would have thought an EL 34 based 55wpm channel Class A amp could drive a pair of electrostatic hybrid speakers rated at 4ohms. OK no longer a sceptic about burn in but a firm believer. What has been your experience?

128x128mazian

Buy a Furutech NCF outlet and you will have to believe in burn in it’s a bad long schizophrenic ride.

Maybe I was too lazy to plug in the Rogue again but I left the EAR in place and after about 30 hours I noticed a difference, more depth, wider soundstage, Now after about 100 hours - WOW huge soundstage, both depth and width. great tight bass, shimmering highs. Now I know why Tim De Paravicini was regarded as a genius and sorry for the seller who probably had not given the unit a chance to burn in properly.

Excellent learning experience and demonstrating the value of patience . Some high quality audio components need to be given time to evolve and reach their true performance level.  As a result you discovered you  have a wonderful sounding amplifier built by the late and esteemed Tim De Paravicini. Hasty decisions can lead to regrettable actions. Thankfully not in this case.

Charles 

Not only burn-in but warm up, figured this one out 30 years ago. First someone said SS should be left on, sounds better. My vintage 1970's Kenwood integrated, how is it gonna get any more burned in? Left it on 24/7 a few weeks. No difference. Or so I thought. Until one day turned it off and then the next day, WTF? Why's it sound so crappy? Oh. 

McCormack DNA1, Herron VTPH2A, Benz, Koetsu, Origin Live Sovereign and Enterprise arm, I wouldn't say any of them sounded bad they were great right out of the box but it was a trip hearing them change so much the first few minutes and hours. Many times they would sound different by the end of a song than at the beginning. Then slower improvement as time goes on until finally they reach a sort of equilibrium. From then on it is a nightly warmup routine. 

Nothing ever sounds the same twice. If you think it does, you either are not listening closely enough, or your ears or system aren't there yet. 

I have 3 power cables hooked up in series on my refrigerator. They will stay there for a month (30 days). They go from there to conditioner for 2 more weeks. OCC copper with mill spec 5N silver and PTFE. Red copper male/female terminal ends.

When I plug one of those in vs one not conditioned, they never do sound the same or BREAK IN in 1/4 of the time. They sound good as soon as they are plugged in after 30 minutes. At 100 hours that silver clad is sounding great, compaired to another 2-300 more hours it would take for unconditioned cables.

I'm not sure some will ever break-in, in a real low tickle situation. Tone arm wire, that kind if stuff.. I HATE breaking in a new tonearm. I feel like I wear out a cart breaking in the friggen cable, to finally sound great at 500+ hours.. A lot of newbies give up on the thin sound untill, MAGIC. The issue is just being plugged in dosen't condition that type of cable, like a PC does, you have to actually put a signal through the cable.

OFC copper with gold plated terminal ends. 50 hours.. They are ready to work in a tonearm...:-) 10 hours on speaker cable.. Just the nature of the beast.. Break-in time are a LOT shorter..

Equipment, there is all kinds of different cables with different dielectrics. Teflon caps, good Lord, forever to breakin'.. And they sound wonky, for 500 of that..THEN they last for a 1000 years.

Regards

Definitely burn in, break-in, whatever you want to call it, is real. I can't explain it, but any seasoned audiophile hears it.

ozzy