Help with McIntosh Repair Facility

My MC452 is having an issue with the right channel that's a little weaker than the left.  Not by much but definitely noticeable.  Have been trying to diagnose the issue and everything so far points to the amp. I'm using XLR and have changed ICs , preamp tubes, cleaned amp inputs, etc.. but the head scratcher is if I switch the right and left IC inputs on the amp the sound or output is balanced. The meters are in alignment as they should be. The only issue is of course the right and left channels are opposite now.   I've spoken with an authorized repair center and bench testing is $350 and worse case scenario the board needs replacing plus labor can hit $2500 which in my opinion is ridiculous.  Has anyone experienced this issue or have any ideas or know of a reputable or more cost effective repair facility? I'm in Lexington KY.  Thanks in advance.  

Ag insider logo xs@2xsamzx12

That is some expensive bench test. A test to give an estimate is normally 130-170.00 on the west coast. Sometimes it refundable, if they can't get to you before 90 days. It is still applicable to the total cost.
350.00 is WAY out of line and a 2500.00 est before looking. Geeze ship to the west coast it's less expensive. That guy is NUTS. 350.00 for look see. He ain't a peep show and he sure ain't a Roquel Welch..

He does have some BALLS for asking those types of prices though.. Give me the guys number. I'd like to call him and tell him he is WAY out of line on his prices. Most Mac repairs are under 500.00 + shipping. I've NEVER heard of a 2500.00 labor charge or parts for that matter. New trannies too boot.. Good Lord.

You called the wrong guy, Jefe.

Regards

$2500 was not for labor only. It was total estimated cost worst case scenario.  This includes board replacement if needed and any other parts.  He is a authorized McIntosh repair center and been in business for 30years. I do think the bench testing is out of line also.  He is located in Westchester Ohio. 

@mlsstl. Believe me I’ve adjusted the speaker positioning, added room treatments and just about everything else to diagnose this issue. The telltale sign was dropping in another amp in the system and problem goes away. It’s the amp because you can watch the meters on various types of music and the right channel is consistently weaker than the left. Just by listening the imbalance is noticeable easily. When I switch the inputs at the amp the imbalance goes away and the meters coincide with each other.  

Send it to Binghampton...either Mac or Audio Classics. Not fixing it shouldnt be the option b.

Happens all the time in every industry. What he is actually telling you is quite useful: he doesnt know wtf wrong and needs you to pay him to figure it out on the fly.

Move on but much like anything in life, there is no free lunch. If you send it to either Mac or Audioclassics, you will have an amp that has been checked out by honest, knowledgeable and forthright people who know what they are doing and more importantly, a receipt for repairs from them will enhance the value of a not so new amplifier.

Have you tried the different 2 - 4 - 8 ohm speaker taps to see if the low output follows?