Audio Research or Luxman?

I recently acquired a 1973 Luxman L-507 integrated amp only to learn that the volume/balance control pots are bad and can't be replaced, but I was able to bypass the pre-amp section and run it with the amp section only, and oh my, did it sound good.

I was very surprsed to find that its sound quality came too close in sound quality to my ARC separates: a Reference 3 preamp and Ref 75SE amp. So now I'm wondering how a modern Luxman like a l-505uXii or 507uXii would compare with my ARC separates. 

Any thoughts anyone?

audiojerry

Your volume and balance pots can't be replaced because you've got the wrong tech working for you.  Find a better tech.  

Alps is not the only company making volume controls and even if they were, they have modern equivalents. I recently replaced a worn out Spectrol wire wound VC with a Penny and Giles with great success. I would look at the Khozmo line.https://www.khozmo.com/index.html

Your volume and balance pots can't be replaced because you've got the wrong tech working for you.  Find a better tech.  

It was not just my tech who told me the identical Luxman volume/balance could not be replaced. A business known for doing vintage restoration, Hudson Valley HiFi, told me the same thing. L507 Restoration by Hudson Valley HiFi

They did say that I might be able to eliminate the balance pot and look for a compatable replacement, but it would not be easy or inexpensive. 

Thanks for the Khozmo link. They look to have some high quality alternatives.

Luxman raised their prices substantially. The 550 ax11 class A model went up $1000! Ridiculous. You are paying for the meters. I would rather have my Sugden no nonsense class A integrated minus the meters. You can add a cheap Vu meter from ebay made by one little Bear & douk audio and get a similar effect. As far as I know, the Sugden is still @ $3250 for the A21 se signature...at least they are not gouging customers. Sugden pioneered Solid State class A in 1967...half the price of the Over priced Luxman, and most likely sounds better. How in the world you can justify bumping the price of the Luxman from $5495  to  $6495 is beyond me.