Devore or Audio Note or other sensitive speakers: wanting to listen in Denver

I'm on the hunt for a sensitive speakers to play really nicely with my Quicksilver Mono 60 amps. I've heard some nice Spatial X3's here in Denver thanks to a local audiophile. I was especially taken by their AMT tweeters.

If you're in the Denver area and have Devore, Audio Note, Zu, Tekton, or any other speaker which has really worked well for your tube amps, please DM me. I would be deeply grateful for even  an hour of listening time. Thank you!

128x128hilde45

Check out the Devore Crew fan group on Facebook and maybe you will make some new friends.

You are always welcome to visit here, in Austin, with a little advance notice. 

I will tell you that the amp-speaker combination makes a huge difference. I've been running Avantgarde Duos since around 2006-7, and they sound better than ever due to other things in the chain:

Lamm ML2

Additional subwoofers, using DSP

Change of cartridge using stone bodied Koetus, which have more gravitas and tone in the low end. 

This system does not represent anything more than my personal preference based on the components I've chosen to use; I'm considering a more involved antiquarian horn system once I have the ability to travel. 

The high efficiency, SET route is one path among many; I found bliss in it, but there's also a fair amount of set-up/trouble shooting to lower inter-component noise, assuming good power coming in; another thing in which I "invested" (no doubt at a loss).

And, with that, you are still limited by the room. I can't scale to a 2,000 seat auditorium, even if I had the equipment to do that. So, the room is obviously going to play a part. 

But, I'm down with high efficiency speakers and low powered tube amps as a good way to reproduce music. 

I just went through the process of auditioning high efficiency speakers. I liked Audio Note, DeVore, Klipsch and I especially liked Volti. Any of those would have been fine but I bought a pair of Charney Companion Excaliburs with Voxative drivers. I thought they gave more of that magical feel than any of the others.

A lot of my indecision comes back to some fundamental things I don't know, yet. What style of presentation for these sensitive speakers appeals to me? Single driver? Horn? Three way? Ribbon? Open baffle? Etc. That's one reason I'm trying to stir up occasions to go listen.

The Monitor Audio Platinum looks interesting. Hoping to find MTM in a tower. I know the Legacy has that.

@whart — most gracious of you. I love Austin and still have friends there from when I lived there for a decade, not far from Lake Austin. (I was on Enfield Rd., just west of Mopac.) Those Avantgarde Duos look amazing! 

@fosolitude Thank you so much for chiming in. I need to audition some horn speakers — they've not been something I've heard yet, I'm ashamed to say.

And the Charney's look cool, too.

@hilde45,

I would add Tannoy’s to your list as well. Either the Turnberry or Stirling’s would be a great match for your Quicksilver mono’s. If you ever in Houston, come over for some Tannoy’s magic and Tex-Mex treats :-)

Coherency is the best way to describe a single driver speaker. The sense of integration clearly affects how the listener perceives the treble, midrange and bass response. Speaking of Devore and Tannoy’s, there is no trace of ‘one-note’ emphasis that some speakers exhibit. Instead, you get natural detail with excellent pace, rhythm and timing. Once you hear a single driver speaker, all else pales in comparison, IMHO.

Also add, Cube Audio’s Nenufar to your list.