Line Stage Preamps that blew you away $2500 Edition

Passive, tubes, solid state, jewel encrusted moon rocks, whatever. 

tell us what line stages blew you Away in the $2500 ish price catagory.

gochurchgo

@oddiofyl  actually yes! I do have a set of Mullard 6201’s that have lasted. I replaced them with the 4024’s as I wanted a slightly warmer sound. Why would the 6201’s be so much more robust though? I’m genuinely curious.

@oddiofyl

Funny you should mention 6922’s. My phono preamp uses (2) also. In 02/2018

I ordered (2) NOS Telefunken E88CC/6922 - Platinum Grade - Cryoed for $217 each from Kevin Deal of UpScale Audio.

He ha a video of the Tele’s saying they would last from about 5,000 to10,000 hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g2VhyU69Og

I haven’t had any problems with them at all. When it comes to tubes, I’ve learned I will only by from UpScale Audio or Brent Jessee. It’s a shame now cause the price of those tubes are almost unobtainable now.

Brent Jessee even has a return policy on his tubes, which is almost unheard of. Buy tubes only from someone you trust, has a return or at least a replacement policy, period. As UpScale Audio has.

I don't have a lot of experience with preamps. I mainly used integrateds until a couple years ago and got a Don Sachs Model 2. I love it. Not only does it sound great but Don is great to work with and I love the bespoke, handmade vibe of it. However... I've been curious about trying a solid state preamp in my system, which is predominantly tube based. I was curious about trying the Kinki Studio P7, but in my research I somehow came across the Audio GD HE 1 preamp. Then I learned about the balanced XLR version and while it is a tube preamp I decided (after way too much bourbon and way too late at night) to give it a try. I just hooked this beast of a preamp up about an hour ago and I can say it is so dead quiet I didn't think it was on. I'm not going to get into the weeds about this preamp as anyone can look it up, but so far it is impressive. I also like how much detail and dynamics I am getting at low volume. I tend to listen at low volume while working and my wife is in the other room, and again, very impressive. Its bit over the $2500 target, but the solid state version can be had at that price. Not saying its the best preamp as I can't make that claim with my limited experience but worth looking into.

I am trying to decide whether to keep my CJ Classic 2SE or my Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 for a second system.  I do like how the 3 varieties of 12AT7 in the SFL-1 sounded.  Can’t really say that about the 6922 I’ve used in the CJ.   NOS 6922 are $$$ and new production leaves only a few choices.