Mcintosh amplifiers and preamps

Just trying to understand, how do you view Mcintosh amplifiers and preamps?

thanks....

onehorsepony

25 years ago I paid 270.00 for this MX110z. I took it out of storage last year. I had never used it. I brought it up on a Variac over a 3 day period, cleaned the tube pins and cleaned the pin sockets. It sounded good. Within 2 days it sounded great. Never been touched 60 years old. It looks NEW. That is dust.. That is a Mac. DAC that!

I have a C2500, wonderful unit, in for repairs.. LOL I think it was my fault.. Jury is out on that one. I had a cable drop from a tube amp onto a class d bass amps, both were hooked to the C2500. It actually blew up a MC275, but didn’t blow the fuse in the unit. It also tripped a FA 20 amp house fuse. First time EVER. Weirdest thing I EVER saw. Hopefully the last time too. That was an Expensive boo boo.. If there is a banana involved, I shrink tube the connection, period! WELD it, glue it, do something to it..

The DAC thing is always the same, reclocking is just fine for me, I’m not a DAC fanatic. I'm just a Fanatic, you know the regular kind, run of the mill fanatic..

Merry Christmas..

great stuff, just a matter of preference...still use my Don Scott modified MR74 tuner regularly

Mac gear seems to enjoys a "Rolls Royce" type of mystique. Whether merited on a performance basis is subjective, but it sure holds value, and is certainly a name recognized for quality even by most regular non-audio people. I do like the way it looks, but don’t think I could ever justify the cost.

macintosh is one of the oldest most respected names in the history of hifi, the name was built through good sound good quality good aesthetics, for many baby boomers it brings back fond memories and good feelings as they grew up lusting after the brand, the look, what having a macintosh meant

modern day macintosh is simply building on that reputation and brand image, in light of the world having an ever more wealthy top tier, they are taking advantage, as any good capitalist would (not a value judgement, just a reality)

as such, this like some other brands are hifi gear and overt luxury lifestyle gear at the same time... audio jewelry in a way... once again, not good or bad, just is what it is

McIntosh C36, C2200 and MC7300. Original owner. Listened to every day. Could there be better, of course, but it is very satisfying for me.