Turntable upgrade recommendations: SME vs AMG vs Technics vs other

I've recently upgraded most of my system, but I still have a Rega P8, with Linn Krystal cartridge, which I like, but I've heard that there may be better options.

I have Sound Lab electrostatic speakers, Ypsilon Hyperior amplifiers, an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 pre-amplifier, and am thinking about an Ypsilon phono stage to match with my system, and a turntable/cartridge.  I listen to almost entirely classical, acoustic music. 

Based on my very limited knowledge, and simple research, I've been looking at three brands, each of which is a different type of turntable: SME (suspension), AMG (mass), and Technics (direct drive).  
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of turntables, and of those in particular?

Thanks.   

drbond

@rauliruegas, Last night I purchased a newly remastered for digital copy of The Band's Cahoots in 24/96. It is easily the best version of that album I have ever heard. The sound stage definition is much better than my original vinyl copy. The reason it sounds so much better is probably not the format but the mastering. Another issue I am noticing frequently is on more recordings than not the space in between instruments and voices is quieter. Some would say "blacker" but, they really mean quieter. With analog playback there is more ...fuzziness around the edges of many recordings. On the other hand many of the older records were mastered on substandard systems resulting in amplitude and sound stage errors when played back on a good system. When that happens it is easy for the remasters to shine. 

@mijostyn

I ended up having to ship my Rega P8 to Mt Kisco, NY for evaluation, to David and Alma at Accent on Music. They are very kind and helpful people. They were going to evaluate my TT regardless of expectations. Fortunately for them, my Rega cartridge had failed in one channel, and I needed a new cartridge. (Mind you, this cartridge probably had less than 100 hours on it.) I purchased a $2,000 Linn Krystal cartridge from them, largely since they recommended it, and paid them for their labor as well, so I hope that they made out well .. . which brings me to this thread, as I have probably put 200 hours on the Linn cartridge since I got it back in September, and so my interest in analog is piqued, and I am consequently looking to upgrade even more!

...and it looks like Accent on Music carries Orotofon, so I think I'll be calling them to purchase the MC Verismo when the time comes. 

"Another issue I am noticing frequently is on more recordings than not the space in between instruments and voices is quieter. Some would say "blacker" but, they really mean quieter. With analog playback there is more ...fuzziness around the edges of many recordings. On the other hand many of the older records were mastered on substandard systems resulting in amplitude and sound stage errors when played back on a good system. When that happens it is easy for the remasters to shine."

Are you here comparing old vinyl to new vinyl (re-issues) or hi-rez digital to vinyl, or what?  The idea that "many of the older records were mastered on substandard systems" that result in "amplitude and sound stage errors" strikes me as not supported by any data.  Just your aural impressions.

It's a good idea to buy your analogue front end from one place, so that they can set it up properly. Unless, of course, you are already an adept.

IMO

Post removed