Tannoy Stirlings on the way!

Hi, everybody.  Longtime member, first time caller.

I just ordered up a pair of Tannoy Stirling GR floorstanders, and, frankly, I'm looking for people to rejoice with!

I'm a speakers guy, through and through.  I've got Dynaudios, Focals, B&Ws, Totems, Wharfedales, Klipsches, and even my old Polk 5Bs, the first speakers I ever bought, way back in the '80s.  I wanted to try something very different, and the Prestige line Tannoys really spoke to me.  The coincident drivers, the old-school-ish paper cone, the old-school cabinets and ports.  I'm really looking forward to hearing how they soundstage!

I thought about getting the Turnberrys, but the Stirlings should be just about the perfect size for my [extremely irregular] room.  Especially since I already have a pair of subs.

I'm pretty chuffed.
trentmemphis

Big thanks muveling!  Looks like it's readily available a few places.  I've only waxed mine once since 2019 and the factory supplied will be gone in another application or so.  Curious, where did you order yours?

@pehare

Amazon.com. I’ve got 1.5 Liters of the stuff now lol. No more stressing over the Tannoy tin getting low. Did my first wax application with it a few weeks ago. It’s EXACTLY the Tannoy stuff.

Finally got a good tipoff on what they use / relabel. I’d bought Briwax before in an attempt to find the right Tannoy wax replacement, and that stuff is awful - very noxious fumes, more runny due to the harsh toluene solvent used - not OK for an indoor home application (didn’t even try to use it). The Liberon paste has that wonderful Tannoy smell.

@mulveling 

Thanks for your recommendation. I was running low on my usual Howard CS4014 Citrus Shield Paste Wax (Walnut). I am going to try the Liberon next. I also recommend buying CLARK'S Oil & Wax Large Block Applicator. I am in 4th year of Canterbury’s ownership and the wood grain never looked so exquisite. 

@lalitk
Same! Got my Canterbury GR just over 4 years ago. I upgraded from the SE, and was initially depressed how blonde and dry the new GR wood looked next to the 5-year old SE. Now the GR wood looks like my old SE did. It only takes a few wax applications over the years, but this seems to help a lot.

Incidentally I just re-bought my old SE, from the guy I sold them to. Man is their wood pretty now. Got spare tweeter sets (the most likely part to have issues) for those SE and the GR - with so much doubt around what’s happening to Tannoy, I’m ensuring I’ll at least have a lifetime supply 😂

I just buy a cheap pack of 100% cotton white t-shirts from WalMart for the wax application. A proper applicator might help for a smooth and even finish, though.