You Cant Buy It but you Can Build It

One of the things, well the primary audio thing that fascinates and pleases me to no end is superlative hand built systems. Not from boutique vendors but from audiophiles who want something they can't find on a shelf or buy.

I am a minimalist and figure the fewer devices needed to get to great fidelity the better. I am in the camp that feels if you have to have a lot of devices or fancy exotic things in your audio stream then you began with the wrong speakers.

My system consists of a Dell Workstation PC with the hi def Realtek driver installed. 1/8" jack out to XLR to either a Xilica XP3060 if the speakers need DSP and bi-amping or straight to the amp. From the Crown XLI800 amps to the speakers and that is it. 12gage zip cord from amps to speakers and crimp fork end connectors.

The speakers are two way and consist of the following. A Klipsch K-402 horn with Klipsch 1132 drivers with the latest version phase plugs is the HF side of things. crossover point is 650 and 12db Linkwitz Riley with four PEQ's and gain set in the Xilica. Driver is full output to just over 18khz which is past where most of us can hear anyway.

The LF bass bin is a horn derived from the Klipsch MCM 1900 MWM single fold bass bin. This bin was altered to have a 60" depth and 60" mouth (minus 17" in the middle for the woofer plenum)  and 18" chamber ht ID and to have a true 108" throat depth. Constructed out of 25mm Baltic Birch. Has a single K-43-K Klipsch woofer in there and goes down to 27hz before serious drop off starts. I have not figured out the exact DB efficiency of this system but figure it is somewhere north of 105db. There are four PEQ's and gain setting from the xilica for this bass bin also.

What started this whole thing was I wanted to hear Bach Pipe Organ music like I was right there and the same for Cello chamber music. Or Japanese Fireworks or any thing else I could find of high fidelity that interested me. I have grown to like most things recorded well that I can find. Key here was life like reproduction as close as I could get using things I have heard in person as reference points. If the fireworks would impact me in person with a felt boom along with sound I wanted that. If the 32' pipe made things move around on table tops I wanted that. Now I rarely play at those volumes but if I want to I can. But I also wanted the true to life definition that would have accompanied this just like real life. I did not want someones idea of signature sound I wanted realism. Once the PEQ's are set I do not fiddle with PC EQ and leave it flat all the time.

As a pure all horn system sound reproduction is effortless and the headroom creates superb sound at 75db as well as 105db and up if you care to go there. The Crown XLI800's are solid state and 200 watts per channel. I leave them up half way and adjust the rest with the PC sound card control which rarely goes above 50%. 

Total cost to build using todays prices and all new components would be about $7400. Frugal shopping for electronics will save you off that. My actual cost after hunting for a year of so was under $4000.

Now a word about tube amps and DACs and all that stuff. The Xilica has the ability to basically tailor sound for almost any effect, if you take the time to learn to do so. Along the way you end up having to get Room Equalizer Wizard, or REW, which is free software for analyzing sound using your laptop and a calibrated UMike. These active DSP systems are NOT plug and play.

Not all PC's will give you great fidelity. My Dell happens to be one of those fortunately. If you go this route make sure you download the latest Hi-Def driver for your sound card. If I was not happy with the sound card, or suspected it to not be good, I would get an aftermarket one.

Peer validation is always nice and the stream of repeat visitors I have lets me know the pieces to this puzzle worked out well. I quit my search for better when I got these dialed in.

mahlman

@phusis  "produce a smooth, effortless and enveloping bass, quite different even from direct radiating designs."

You bet they do. Hard to convey the impact they make to people who have not heard good horns. One of my favorite sound effects to play as a demo for people is Japanese Fireworks. Just like real life and the sound is so precise and quick and if you want to turn it up there is even a concussive wave that will hit you. And drums and stringed instruments with none of the lag time moving massive cones with large excursion create. Closest to real life as I have ever heard.

@sns  I suppose it is possible. I have people who stop in on occasion to hear the big horns that tell me the same thing. I encourage them to bring that gear they think so highly of with them next time and lets see. No one has brought gear with them but they have come back to listen again. Right now I am not dumping a bunch of cash on things that might work better when peer review plus my ears and curves tell me what I have does work.

@phusis, sorry lad, it would appear your experience is lacking. I have heard and built Horn subwoofers. Mahlmans's sense of vibration is not good. I hope he is not diabetic. The other answer would be that his horns do not go very low which is in keeping with his other posts.  Yes, horns are very efficient but, bass is bass and it is very powerful and hard to contain. Any subwoofer, horn or otherwise putting out 20 Hz at 85 dB is going to shake and it is going to shake the entire house. Making one that does not vibrate with just the distortion produced by the driver is virtually impossible. There are examples that come close, Magico's Q subs come to mind. I might be able to do better. We shall see. I have been designing and building subwoofers for almost 40 years.

As for horns being the best type of driver, they have their advantages. I am waiting to hear a horn system that is not colored. They also require crossovers. IMHO the best type of system is a one way driver crossed to a subwoofer below 125 Hz where digital bass management is easy to apply. The only one way driver that is truly one way is an ESL. With horns you are also stuck with a point source system. It does not matter how big they get.  Line sources project power better particularly in the bass and are more capable of generating the visceral sensations of a live concert.  

How in the world is it that audio seems to draw those who know everything and also know the singular best way? I listen to what others say and incorporate good things I find into what I build and do. My list of those I listen to though grows fairly small over time and the ones I take seriously were vetted through the results they delivered in either their advice to me or their personal work I CAN VERIFY by putting my hands on it.

I see @mijostyn that you have many opinions and I disagree with many of them as my real world experience sitting in my shop right now says you like to throw stuff out there and sound authoritative, but you are not. You have passed today into the read for amusement but not for info category.

You seem quite stuck on subs but remember my big horn set is roughly -5db at 27hz and drops off quick after that and is not a sub but part of a two way system for 27hz to 18.5khz sound.

Do you honestly think I will take you seriously when the evidence, the physical evidence that is, is in my shop and you say it can't be done. It's a shame you have never had a chance to hear good horns in that 40 years of experience you tout.

@mijostyn --

"... sorry lad, it would appear your experience is lacking. I have heard and built Horn subwoofers. Mahlmans’s sense of vibration is not good. I hope he is not diabetic. The other answer would be that his horns do not go very low which is in keeping with his other posts. Yes, horns are very efficient but, bass is bass and it is very powerful and hard to contain. Any subwoofer, horn or otherwise putting out 20 Hz at 85 dB is going to shake and it is going to shake the entire house. Making one that does not vibrate with just the distortion produced by the driver is virtually impossible. There are examples that come close, Magico’s Q subs come to mind. I might be able to do better. We shall see. I have been designing and building subwoofers for almost 40 years."

Forest for the trees, as they say. Not to impugn your decades of experience, I hope they’ve done you some good, but it seems to me you’re chasing an aspect in subwoofer design that’s really the lesser evil compared to, in my mind, more primary goals. You’re a line source guy on the main speaker front, one terminated at both the floor and ceiling no less, so why haven’t you gone to length ensuring two bass columns, loosening a wee bit on the vibration control, placed in each corner behind the mains to meet the challenges faced here with both headroom and acoustic coupling? No, because you’re hellbent on killing vibrations as that which has precedence, thus limiting yourself to a smaller sub design. It’s all a matter of degree and measuring its importance relative to other aspects, and to you vibration/resonance control comes first with all that entails - fair enough. I’d have gone differently, as you imagine, letting physics more readily have their say - vibrations to some degree be damned.

@mahlman’s horn subs (yes, in my understanding of the correct use of the word ’sub’ they qualify, being they’re able to reach honest 30Hz without any issues) as a classic single-fold front loaded horn, very high efficiency at that, will most likely deliver some of the most effortless, smooth and nuanced bass out there. I’m sure there’re some cabinet vibrations at elevated levels, but do they really matter in the bigger scheme of things, not least outweighed by the qualities of a horn sub design that has the woofer cone moving close to zilch at anything but earsplitting levels sans mechanical driver noise, where a direct radiating sub design like yours, almost 20dB’s less sensitive, will necessitate up to 100x the amount of power and prodigious excursion for the same SPL?

Shelling out $40k for a single(!) sealed, 15" loaded Magico sub is just dumb, sorry. That’s $80k for a pair of them, and it’s not like they cured polio or other.

"As for horns being the best type of driver, they have their advantages. I am waiting to hear a horn system that is not colored. They also require crossovers. IMHO the best type of system is a one way driver crossed to a subwoofer below 125 Hz where digital bass management is easy to apply. The only one way driver that is truly one way is an ESL. With horns you are also stuck with a point source system. It does not matter how big they get. Line sources project power better particularly in the bass and are more capable of generating the visceral sensations of a live concert."

I have no issues with ESL’s, really, other than they need to be big to really be worthwhile (and usually lack macro dynamics), certainly compared to big horn setups. And yes, an advantage of theirs is not needing a cross-over in most of the audio band, except crossing over to a pair of subs and the challenges this presents. Point source(s) as a design characteristics is not necessarily a flawed approach. A single point per channel is desirable and to my ears is most favorably realized through the Tom Danley invented Synergy horns, but they also need to be fairly big to do their best and maintain directivity control down low to the subs. The dispersion characteristics of my horn hybrid main speakers is quite uniform through their audio band, not least at their single cross-over point, and this is achieved via the big midrange/tweeter horn and how it couples to the twin vertically mounted 15" woofers. In that regard they’re sonically not wholly unlike big panel speakers.

not mean a horn can't sound really good. I believe an all horn system done right is unbeatable ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Yeah at what price tag??

https://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/en/customer-galleries.html