Sound System on $10K Budget

All, sorry if this has been asked a million times before. I am looking to build a home audio system from scratch and want to keep it under $10K. I have no idea where to start, and scrolling through this forum has just made me more overwhelmed. For context, I have a headphone setup (Meze Empyrean and HD 800S and a Vioelectric V280/1). Unfortunately, I haven't used the system in over a year--I find it too difficult given all the wires, turning my desktop on, etc. As such, I am looking to put in a home audio system that I can more casually listen to as I work, cook, etc.

The room I am putting the system in is 34 x 20 with 12 foot ceilings. I am looking for a system that is just all around good (jack of all trades master of none) given the budget. I will not be doing any room treatments, etc (not worth the marginal benefit and I am not looking for perfection here). The system will be used daily for TV and for music. As far as genres, I really like everything, but skew towards alternative/indie/pop/rock. I am guessing I will want a sub, but I have no idea and am flexible. I was thinking two loudspeakers, but I am flexible.

FWIW, I don't really believe in expensive cables and think it is a waste of the budget at this price point, but I am open to other opinions. I am open to buying used equipment (I actually prefer used equipment--I believe quality audio equipment should last forever). Overall goal is simplicity + all around good. 

tas2200

with a matching center channel for tv... then a decent av receiver

Oh please no.

35+ years of audio, had 100W receivers, etc, they clip, and distort , don’t waste your money 

You are right 100 watt receivers are crap but a 25 watt tube amp can work very well in a lot of systems. 

A excellent loudspeaker is the Spatial audio ,X3 or X5 open baffle with dual powered bass channels midBass drivers and the excellent Beyma AMT midrange-Tweeter in a 7 inch wave guide minimal Xover using VH audio Odam capacitors 

are a great buy and very dynamic and most of all very musical . 

Like most of the previous posters have said, settling on a speaker sound first is the best choice along with dedicating 50% or so of your budget to them.  That being said, the Philharmonic BMR Towers are a fantastic choice at around $4k.  Looking at your headphones, you seem to like a clean clear sound instead of an overly warm sound.  Consider the Revel F228Be or the F328Be (if you can find a deal on them under $7k instead of their normal nearly $9k price).

Since you already have a nice headphone set up, can you describe your music sources now?  Is it an all digital locally stored media system or are you streaming or is it a turntable or CDs?  What are you planning to use with these speakers?

A subwoofer (or two) paired with stand mount speakers is nicely flexible.

I have recently built a system from scratch and have paired a set of Fritz Carbon 7 SE Mk2 speakers with a single F12SE Rythmik Sub. 

Rythmik Subwoofers: https://www.rythmikaudio.com/

Fritz Speakers: http://fritzspeakers.com/

The powered sub (s) relieves a lot of burden from the power amp.

I went with a Van Alstine SET 120 Control Amp to start with, but then added a Van Alstine Transcendence 10 Tube Preamp when I got the sub. I run the signal from the preamp into the sub, then using the "High Pass Filter" from the sub, I go back to the power amp, which drives the speakers.

AVA: https://avahifi.com/

I'm very happy with this system and you might enjoy reviewing those brands.

As stated by others, 1st find a pair of floor standing speakers that can play into your large space at the volume level you desire. Stay away from those having low sensitivity and impedance. 

Look into the purchase of a 2 channel integrated amplifier that has subwoofer output and a power rating that will easily drive the speaker of choice.

You will need a DAC to take digital signal from TV and iphone. I prefer a stand alone one. That said, many integrated amplifiers have built in DACs. Make sure DAC has the required inputs. 

Blue Jean cables make for a good start at modest price. 

I believe 10K is more than enough budget to get to where you want to go. Buying almost new but used saves.