How much gear do you own?

Do you have multiples of amps, preamps, speakers, cables, etc?

I do, and am starting to realize it's leaning hard toward a sickness rather than a passionate hobby.  Either that, or I'm getting up in age and tired of all the "stuff" I've acquired taking up so much space.

I went through a phase about ten years ago where I got tired of stereo gear and dumped most of it.  I really regretted it after a few years and acquired most (and then much more) back.

But this time it feels different somehow.  And I really think it has to do with my age...pushing 60.

Others go through this?

Thoughts?

128x128audiodwebe

At age 62, I've become tired of having a bunch of stuff. A year or so ago I thinned down my LP collection to about 1000. 800 of them fit nicely into a single record rack in my audio room. The remaining 200 are family keepsakes that I don't listen to, but can't let go. They are in boxes in the storage room.

Last week I sold 3 turntables, an amp and a pair of speakers. Still have 2 inexpensive phono pre-amps for sale on my local Craigslist. If they don't sell soon, I'll list them nationally. 

When winter ends I'm going to start working on the garage. Need to get rid of the f-ing boat that prevents us from parking any cars in there. Need to thin the herd of bicycles to N+1. Currently at N+5. Also need to get rid of a bunch of auto parts I purchased for upgrading a couple of cars I no longer own.

I hope to continue to rid myself of unused stuff. Would love to greatly reduce the clutter in the house and garage.

@audiodwebe,

"Do you have multiples of amps, preamps, speakers, cables, etc?

I do, and am starting to realize it's leaning hard toward a sickness rather than a passionate hobby."

Me too. Somehow I've ended up with half an attic full of spare gear.

3 extra pairs of loudspeakers, plus a 5.1 system, plus a VCR, tuner, loads of cables and interconnects. And other stuff, I forget what.

It didn't seem that long ago when I felt that there would be lots of time in the future to find a use for it, or sell it to someone else who might.

However, after a disastrous year such as this, I'm beginning to wonder whether my priorities weren't totally confused all along.

Heck, I'm not even wondering.

They were.

There's always a place for toys, but they rarely should be a priority.

Not really, I have lots of cables - digital optical, digital coaxial, balanced, HDMI and I don't have my tape deck hooked up.

I generally get rid of things I don't use - my exception has been music media (LPs and cassettes, thought I burned the CDs and then sold them to Half Price Books).

Anything I have I 'replace' or 'upgrade' I generally will offer to a friend/family member or donate.

He who ages with the LEAST amount of gear yet with the MOST satisfaction- wins

Aging with a tube amp/table/FM tuner/speakers and a few "stampers."

With luck, I will continue WITHOUT hearing aids.

@tablejockey I love your sentiment!

You can't take it with you - but you can make sure it is directed to a good home!