Bluesound Node2 with outboard DAC

I love the Node2 and was wondering if anyone uses it with an outboard dac for improved sonics. If I added a 2 or 3k dac would the Node2 limit it's performance or would I be better off with a streamer/dac at around 3.5k used? Thanks.

joeyfed55

I bypass the dacs in the streamers I own. I have Aurrender n100,BS node and Cambridge Audio Cxn v2. In my main system I use the CA hooked to an Audio GD 7r he mk2. Can't tell any difference between streamers but the dacs are night and day difference. 

I auditioned two DACs with my Bluesound Node 2. The Border Patrol DAC and the Mhdt Labs Orchid, Both presented a marked improvement over the onboard DAC in the Bluesound, After a couple days of A/B listening I gravitated to and purchased the Border Patrol. To my ears it has a more enveloping and analog sonic quality,  closer to vinyl which I listen to around 90% of the time. No idea how it would compare to a DAC costing two to three times more, but it works very well in my system. I like the Bluesound interface and since it supports Tidal I find I am all set...at least for a while.

Hey OP,

I use an external DAC with my Bluesound Node 2i. I use the Node for streaming and the Schiit Bifrost 2 as my DAC. I think it sounds wonderful. I have mine hardwired with ethernet. I also upgraded the power cable to a Shunyata Venom and the S/PIDF to a Shunyata Venom. 🤌🤌🤌 
Video Of All Of It In Action

Buy better separates , unless spending at least $6 -7 k for a streamer,-dac . I don’t see how it can be up to the task , you need linear power supplies  Roon server is ok at best  having a separate dac you can continue to get better with technologies  or budget ,all In one very limited in brand choices dac- streamers.

@verdantaudio ,

how do you turn off the clock on the Node2? I don’t recall seeing a setting like that? 

thanks