Outboard speed control for Thorens TD-124

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Has anyone tried an outboard speed control for the Thorens TD-124? I know that some of them don't work because they are either DC or too weak (Pro-ject).

I have a Nottingham Wave Mechanic and wonder if that would work? I need to get an adapter for the plug though.

Gracias
enobenetto
I recall these guys were testing out a high power version for the 301/401,s and Thorens 124.

www.phoenix-engr.com
Vinyl Nirvana sells Music Hall control with his refurbed
Thorens and He's pretty picky .
I don't think the Music Hall will work with 124 because it needs more torque than the 160. The Music Hall and the Pro-Ject are the same thing.

Phoenix Engineering...mmmmmm,I'll hit them up.
Checked out the Phoenix. It won't work because there is not enough clearance from the platter.

Need something like the Wave Mechanic.
"09-01-15: Enobenetto
Checked out the Phoenix. It won't work because there is not enough clearance from the platter."

You may be talking about something else here. Every speed control I have ever seen, is an external box that you plug the motor into. Also, torque shouldn't be an issue. You'll still be giving the motor what ever amount of power it needs to run.
Would the old VPI PLC work with the TD-124 motor? There are a couple for sale on AudiogoN at the moment.
"Every speed control I have ever seen, is an external box that you plug the motor into"

The Phoenix is different because it uses a small magnet that you put underneath the platter and then a small pcb card between the platter and the plinth so it can read the magnet, kind of like a strobescope.

The VPI might work, as long as it sends out AC, correct?

I am surprised that no one has come up with something like this for idlers. I mean, they make every audio gimmick in the book now, and this no gimmick but a real need; weird.
"The VPI might work, as long as it sends out AC, correct?"

Yes. If you don't already have any A/C products, you can use a regenerator like a PS Audio 500. 2 upgrades are better than 1.
You are referring to the Roadrunner from Phoenix. It can be paired with the Falcon, which controls the speed. But the Falcon can also be used as a standalone. I use it that way, and confirm speed with my trusty Kab strobe.
So, I did some more research on various forums and got some good information.

First, the Nott wave mechanic or VPI SDS will not work because they are for 7 watts and the 124 needs 15. Second, some people have indicated the stepping down the voltage to around 117 volts is advisable because the 124 was made for that voltage not the 123-5 that we know are given. Also, that to regulate the voltage is a good idea because of the voltage swings through the wall (that is really not the case for me as it only drifts 1 or 2 volts at the most). Last, and most understandable is trying to get the best possible sine wave you can feeding the motor as it is asynchronous.

Does these points sound reasonable?
You don't need an external speed controller for the TD-124. IMO the best upgrade you can make to your Thorens deck is to replace the old analog controller board and neon strobe with a quartz controller and LED strobe from Keystrobe UK. The parts are very reasonably priced and the installation is very easy - no soldering required. It's invisible (once installed) and will work with virtually any plinth design.
Try hanze hifi in nederland they have a power supply and a modidication for the engine.