Turntable upgrade recommendations: SME vs AMG vs Technics vs other

I've recently upgraded most of my system, but I still have a Rega P8, with Linn Krystal cartridge, which I like, but I've heard that there may be better options.

I have Sound Lab electrostatic speakers, Ypsilon Hyperior amplifiers, an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 pre-amplifier, and am thinking about an Ypsilon phono stage to match with my system, and a turntable/cartridge.  I listen to almost entirely classical, acoustic music. 

Based on my very limited knowledge, and simple research, I've been looking at three brands, each of which is a different type of turntable: SME (suspension), AMG (mass), and Technics (direct drive).  
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of turntables, and of those in particular?

Thanks.   

drbond

@drbond , I have Sound Labs Speakers. If you are talking about the SME 30/2 or 30/12 it is a no brainer. I would take the SME 12A over any Technics Table. It is isolated and has a much better arm than any Technics ever made. I do not think genre means anything when it comes to tables and arms. Cartridges are another issue. I would consider a transimpedance phono stage like the Sutherland Loco or Channel D Lino C and a really low impedance moving coil like the My Sonic Lab Ultra Eminent EX

It sounds like you want a set it and forget it table? Look into the VPI HW 40. It is direct drive and high mass. I am a set it and forget it person and this table is that and phenomenal sound. I couldn't believe how big of a step up it was. Sorry to muddy the waters.

@mrklas 

While I have thoroughly enjoyed the Rega, I think I'll move to a different brand, just out of curiosity, if nothing else.  The Rega P8 sounds great to my ears, but I've found that you don't think the sound can get any better, and then you upgrade some component, and it does sound better. . .until a point, and I think I'm at that point with my speakers, amplifiers, and pre-amplifiers, but have a bit to improve on the sources.

@terry9 

I live on a concrete slab, so I suppose there would be no need for suspension, but you say you also live on a slab, but have an air bearing, which sounds like just a different type of suspension.  Is the TechDAS the only type of air bearing out there, and how often does something like that malfunction?  (I can only imagine dust getting in the compressor every year, and causing obstruction.)  As for the presentation, I like it just to feel "real", whatever that is:  hearing the detailed transients, the bow striking on the strings, the breathing, so I suppose in a word, it would be clarity, but not sounding overly analytical. 

@jrw1971 

TechDAS is one I wasn't considering, but now that several have mentioned it, I think I should entertain it.  How glitchy are the air devices?  Are there any longer term problems with the compressor and air flow? 

Yes, perhaps I should look at VPI, as @bubba12  also suggested.

Air bearing tables are many and various - but all of them are expensive.

Mine is a DIY with air in all three dimensions. I did this with porous graphite bearing surfaces from the US company New Way, using the larger of their so-called thrust bushings. The best compressors for this purpose do not use oil (e.g. Juno) but are noisy, and should be placed in a utility room.

The air cushion is stiff and not a substitute for a suspension.

But the SOUND - quiet to the point of blackness. No noise at all. So clear!

I, too, have a VPI HW-40, but it is the last thing I would do is recommend it or any other specific turntable to you.  One thing to be very wary of, and this forum is a prime example, the correspondent who has a component they love and as far as they are concerned it is incomparable.  That is nonsense.  You need options and time to listen to differences.  There are a number of very good turntables available, you named some of them in your OP.  The hard part is to get a chance to experience them.  You ruled out Steve at High Performance Stereo out of hand without knowing anything about him.  I suggest you give him a phone call.  He is not a normal dealer.  He may be able to help you.  Call him. 917-208-4750.