Sub for single-driver desktop speakers

Hi there audio friends. Can you suggest a musical subwoofer for use with my new desktop speakers?  I just got the Arche Audio FR2 single driver speakers, they sound good, but I would like some more low midtone/bass. They only go down to 100hz. I don’t need a big powerful sub, just something to extend the range down to maybe 60 or 50 hz, to add a little «soy sauce to the rice», so to speak. The sub should not interfere with the purity of the single driver design.

Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter

I've played with single driver speakers a lot, but not had them be as satisfying as a 2-way or 3-way, depending on the size of the speaker.

To really get the sub to blend its a good idea to keep its output below 80Hz. Otherwise it starts to attract attention to itself- and if it does that, it has to be very close to the main speakers so that all the sound seems to come from the same place. That might mean a sub custom designed to match the main speakers.

I'd also be concerned about having any bass excursion on such a small driver- that causes Doppler effect distortion- so much for 'purity'.

But I understand the idea and the interest- I'm very interested in smaller systems like you might use for desktop or a bedroom. It seems to me though to be successful, the main speaker has to get a bit below 80Hz to really work with most subs (which might be placed in a location considerably different from where the main speakers are).

Radio Shack made a speaker called the Minimus 7 which they claimed goes to 50Hz. Apparently the earlier versions are the most desirable having a better tweeter, and the crossover has to be modified to roll off the woofer in the range of the tweeter. Once this latter bit is done the speaker gets quite smooth with good off axis response. I've not measured it to see if 50Hz is really 'realistic' if you see what I did there 😁 but they image quite well and are surprisingly neutral if you don't push them too hard.

Another member on this forum bought the MartinLogan Dynamo 800x for his music only system and absolutely loves it. (Can't remember his name). It has the ability to be front or bottom firing, has an app for full control and includes Anthem Room Correction.

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/dynamo-800x

Thanks all for interesting suggestions. Especially to @atmasphere – maybe I hear some Doppler effect, yes. At least, so far, these small speakers sound much better with well-recorded ‘sparse’ music than with high dynamic multi-instrument rock. Like Shelby Lynne: Just a little lovin’ (though I have yet to hear a system where this album sounds bad). However I realize that my initial post may be premature. The FR2 speakers need some weeks to open up, according to reviews.

BTW, these speakers will eventually replace my trusty old Sony SRS-ZX1, that are even smaller than the FR2, and yet go down to 60hz or so. This is due to a C-formed channel at the back that Sony calls a «Mobius duct», leading to the bass port below the single driver. I like this analog domain type of modification, avoiding electronic equalizer glare, but I don’t think Sony ever developed it further. However, even if the Sonys go lower, the FR2s are better from midtone upwards (clearer, more air, space), so I hope they break in, over time.

Good to see you are trying the Arche's.

Don't know if they are still in production but years ago I tried/liked a small Gallo sub (TR2) with various widerange single drivers (including 3"-4.5" Japanese drivers).

Also tried it with their little "ball" speakers.

Think the sub's crossover defaulted to 100Hz when using the speaker cable connections (adjustable when using the low level connection).

DeKay