Have you ever been turned off by an Arrogant Dealer? Thoughts

I have and it's extremely disappointing 

calvinj

@verdantaudio

Incidentally, fairness and respect are part of my business model.

That’s terrific. In the country where I live this is quite normal, being a largely egalitarian country.

Conspicuous displays of wealth are actually viewed with some caution, as are those who are blessed with substantial wealth and are just too lazy (??) to bother to even have a sleep and a shower after maybe working straight for 50 hours (the neurosurgeon story).

If they are trying to make some sort of Pretty Woman statement (for whatever deep psychological character flaw reason) then by all means go on social media and vent, should this be cathartic.

On the other hand, people of modest/middle class means generally have the self respect and common sense to at least make some effort into presenting themselves in a decent manner.

The salespeople may be there to serve the customer of course, but it is a two way street - you are a guest on their premises.

From all the anecdotes I have read here and on another similar thread about a month ago it would appear that America is one of the least egalitarian and most judgmental places on earth and one that I probably would not enjoy visiting.

That's not really America you are talking about there. But we aren't allowed to talk about what it is. Not here anyway. Give you a hint though, the vast expanse of America, is not like that at all. 

This is more reflective of our hobby and not the vast majority of Americans.  The same sort of thing happens with Whisky.  Don't walk into certain bars and ask for ice or water in a single malt scotch without being insulted by the bartender and half the patrons. 

Whenever money and expertise can have an influence on something, expect those "that know" to talk down to those who don't.  

I am sure that most all of us has this type of story or situation that has happened to us over the course of time. I guess rather than waste time and energy on those negative things, I’d much rather give the shout out to those that have given great service and their time! 

Mine, like several other stories mentioned in here, the young kid with little to not much money to spend on hifi, yet eager to listen and learn, was helped by a guy that I still respect to this day. In the early 80’s I walked in to Glen Poor’s A/V at the Round Barn center in Champaign, Illinois. I was about 22 at the time. Geoffrey Poor met me at the door, took me right back to listen to some Mark Levinson gear with Magnepan Tympani’s. He took the time to set up and listen to Tandberg, Amber, and some other gear, even though he knew I didn’t have the means at the time to purchase, and maybe never would. Yet the seed was sewn, and another visit later, I bought a pair of Pyramid Metronome 7 speakers, and eventually Magnepan MGI’s. A few more things were purchased over the course of time. 

I do not get over to his shop very often, maybe once or twice a year, as I moved away from the area, but when I do go in and Geoff is there, he always treats me the same way as that day back in the 80’s. I try to send others that I know to visit him, as they are able. Just a great dealer, and more so, a friend without the crap and snobbery. His dealership has moved some time ago, but doing good business to this day. 

It is easy to bust dealers balls, maybe some deserve it, maybe some don’t. But let’s give credit to those that do a fine job in this tough business time! FWIW….