Have you ever been turned off by an Arrogant Dealer? Thoughts

I have and it's extremely disappointing 

calvinj

@dvddesigner about 12 years back we would travel to Houston, Texas  to see my in-laws. We would stay out by the galleria mall and there was a MODIA electronics store there. There was a guy named Mike who I would go see and for 3 years I would go in and look and listen and in the 4th year I bought a classe amplifier and a cp800.  I knew he thought I was always kicking tires but he was patient nice and always took his time. Great guy and experience. But it reminded me why I bought from him. He earned it. I felt like I took up his time and he earned my trust and that sale. Unfortunately, I have had to deal with folks too in the past who I thought were cool but weren’t. Very unfortunate but that’s how it is. If you educate yourself in this game some folks don’t like it but it is what it is. 

@dvddesigner about 12 years back we would travel to Houston, Texas  to see my in-laws. We would stay out by the galleria mall and there was a MODIA electronics store there. There was a guy named Mike who I would go see and for 3 years I would go in and look and listen and in the 4th year I bought a classe amplifier and a cp800.  I knew he thought I was always kicking tires but he was patient nice and always took his time. Great guy and experience. But it reminded me why I bought from him. He earned it. I felt like I took up his time and he earned my trust and that sale. Unfortunately, I have had to deal with folks too in the past who I thought were cool but weren’t. Very unfortunate but that’s how it is. If you educate yourself in this game some folks don’t like it but it is what it is. 

I'm surprised about all the arrogant high end dealers. In todays world, dealers make a small % off financing options. Car dealers do not like cash buyers...they want to sell the financing as well. 

Before I started Verdant (and this was part of the reason I did), I made the rounds to multiple dealers in NYC.  One I really liked but there wasn't a match in terms of products.  The others....when I asked "why does every track I select on this system sound terrible and the ones you pick sound great?"  Response, "That's because your music sucks."  Evidently it is too much to ask that I can listen to something more than Diana Krall and Nils Lofgren.  Another called me and after I told him I was just about to sit down for dinner (it was 6:15) did his best to keep me on the phone for 20 minutes explaining his philosophy on sound.  A third dealer has a speaker priced $1000 over MAP.  When I asked why it was so much more expensive than what we reported in TAS he lied and told me they took a price increase.  But, he did offer me "marketing credits" he could use to get me back to MAP.

I new I was getting screwed at the time and bought those speakers from another dealer.  Now, I am now a dealer for that brand and am keenly aware of how severely he was trying to screw me.  

Incidentally, fairness and respect are part of my business model.  

@verdantaudio

Incidentally, fairness and respect are part of my business model.

That’s terrific. In the country where I live this is quite normal, being a largely egalitarian country.

Conspicuous displays of wealth are actually viewed with some caution, as are those who are blessed with substantial wealth and are just too lazy (??) to bother to even have a sleep and a shower after maybe working straight for 50 hours (the neurosurgeon story).

If they are trying to make some sort of Pretty Woman statement (for whatever deep psychological character flaw reason) then by all means go on social media and vent, should this be cathartic.

On the other hand, people of modest/middle class means generally have the self respect and common sense to at least make some effort into presenting themselves in a decent manner.

The salespeople may be there to serve the customer of course, but it is a two way street - you are a guest on their premises.

From all the anecdotes I have read here and on another similar thread about a month ago it would appear that America is one of the least egalitarian and most judgmental places on earth and one that I probably would not enjoy visiting.