Herron Audio VTPH-2A - Modwright PH 9.0X - Icon audio ps1 mkii

Hi Everyone, I’ve heard great things about the Herron but notice it’s discontinued on the website. I’ve reached out to Keith to inquire but my other choices are the Modwright PH9.0x and Icon PS3 MK II. Has anyone compared these. I have had great experience with Dan and his mod of my Pioneer LX500. I appreciate any insights.

Rene

128x128audiosaurusrex

Hi, I bought the Herron VTSP 3A/360 preamplifier that was on sale here on A'gon.  I had no idea that I was going to buy a preamp, as I have a nice Modwright Line Stage that I thought was pretty darned good.

Now that I've been using the Herron for a little over a week, it has made me realize I'm finally hearing music the way I've wanted to hear it for nearly fifty years. My wild hairs don't usually cost this much, but I'm very glad I snapped up the Herron preamp.

Regards

Dan 

The 2a is a fantastic value and very neutral sonically. The Modwright is it’s equal in many ways. Both benefit from HRS damper blocks and couplers. I am running the 2a with a Damper and stillpoints. enjoy the search and the music.

Jim

I contacted Keith from Herron and he is no longer making the VTPH-2A. Scarcity of parts and he's gearing for retirement at 71. He said he's still producing a run of the VTSP/3A. Great man, I wish him well. So that strikes that one off the list. One of my dealers suggested Musical Surroundings Nova III as a good phonostage. Does anyone have any experience with this?

If you're not in a great hurry, wait for a used Herron phono stage to come up for sale. Put the money away and make it easily accessible, and when you see a VTPH-2A offered pounce on it immediately. They go quick!