Listening to music I don’t particularly like

Do you find yourself listing to music you don't particularly like because it sounds so good on your system? If I'm honest with myself I am an old dude who grew up with classic rock and really enjoy it but a lot of it was not well recorded. So I find myself listening more and more to other genres of music that I normally wouldn't  just because they sound so good on my system. I don't know what this says about me, maybe I am more of an "equipmentphile" than a music lover? I keep listening to music ranging from classical to vocal jazz to country and I love the sound of it  but it doesn't get my toes tapping like a good old rock song from my youth. I was even listening to Chinese drums today. Is there hope for me? Will I ever ever enjoy this music as much as I enjoy the "sound"?

emiliop

At a Dead show many moons ago I saw Mickey Hart play some pieces of what MC is speaking to.  And agree that at first it is amelodic and then (given the always incredible sound system) it begins to grow on you and ends up quite fascinating.

The flip side is I saw Steely Dan this past weekend in Boston and they are the best I've heard them play in a few years.  Flat out kickin' butt.

Life is too fleeting to listen to music you find distasteful. Although I would never tell anyone what they should listen to.  Your system, your ears, your time.

Regards, barts

Most audiophiles are a mixture of love of music and of great sound. So, for most, the better the sound the wider the horizon of music accessible to be appreciated. I have known a couple of music lovers that would gain the same satisfaction from a horribly reproduced tune from small transistor radio or a high end system. And conversely some audiophiles that seem to completely lost any appreciation for music through the relentless pursuit of more detail and slam, constantly swapping equipment and quickly becoming bored with what they have.

So, like in all pursuits there are all kinds of people with different interests, motivations, and tastes.

My first reaction to a person having a system that makes music they would not ordinarily listen to compelling is to offer them congradulations on putting together an outstanding system. The true mark of success in building a great system is not being able to drag yourself away from it.

How does something like Lady Writer by Dire Straits sound? Maybe you need some Super Tweeters to lift your listening experience.

...and on occasion it's cathartic to endure something one really is disgusted by, so you can appreciate better what you like.