Desk top speakers at low cost

I am looking for something simple and compact for a desk system while working.  The budget is very low since I already have two systems for listening and a third for movies.  I am not a big money player. My main systems are in the Parasound, Arcam, Pardigm Pestige level.   I get tired of headphones so I just want something simple.  I have considered NHT first I have a pair of Q350s but they are too big, and they are likely overkill anyway.  I am using a superphon pre-amp and either an older Luxman or Rotel amp tucked away on a shelf.  No not your ideal layout, but then neither is listening for your grandson while working and listening.  But I just can't listen to old Radio Shack Optimas either.  Just wondering if anyone has run into anything surprisingly better than expected in a little package.  If not then maybe I will mount some surround speakers on the wall.  Thanks for reading.

schwantner

ADS 200s if you want a vintage/classic audio experience.

If you're into "newer thinking", the Minx series from Cambridge audio.  "Big" small speaker sound.

I'm very happy with my Vanatoo Tzeros.  I added an inexpensive sub and the sound quality is surprisingly good for such an affordable system.

You can get the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer bookshelf for next to nothing. They sound amazing.

I can second the comment about Andrew Jones designed Pioneer bookshelf speakers they have curved cabinets, are a two way and sound remarkable for their size and price.

I also started with a headphone only desktop solution but realized a need for desktop speakers.  I opted for a used pair of LS50s from Accessories4Less.  A bit overkill, yes, but I'm loving this solution.  Sometime later I supplemented the bass with an inexpensive 8" sub from Emotiva (the Airmotiv SE8).  It's a flexible solution as the sub has both low and high-pass filters. This way each component in the system is allowed to perform in it's optimum range of the audio spectrum.