Subwoofer cable question

I want to run a Rel sub from my integrated amps "pre out" and the sub has only 1 "low level" and  the "lfe" input. Do I need an adapter from stereo to mono or do the low level and lfe inputs on the sub act together as left and right input?

emiliop

Even now after years of clarification still we have members sharing misinformation. Please do a search and read through all the excellent factual information provided by myself, Tim, Duke and of course the research papers by Geddes, et al. These all make perfectly clear the fact sub bass is not directional, there is no "ambience", it is not stereo, and the one sure way to better bass is not to have a bigger more powerful sub but to have it coming from more locations.

If you rely on comments at least filter them to eliminate the ones who don't know, because they never actually did this stuff. For example, I know subs are mono from having run multiple subs every way imaginable. Stereo, mono, L channel, R channel, one, four, five, in phase out of phase all kinds of phase, on and on. Every time you see someone talking about stereo bass, timing, anything like that, do not take it at face value. Dig deep to see where that is coming from. Almost always it is repeating what someone else said, without ever once trying to see if it is true or not.

Do your own due diligence, please.

Yes I think certain amps (? class D) you run Red to Right + speaker output, Yellow to L + Speaker output and Black to CHASSIS GROUND (a screw in metal on the rear).  This is if you get hum doing it the other way.  

All vinyl is cut mono-ed below 60Hz so there is 0 difference for LPs and not noticeble for dgital tracks.

Much ado over nuttin’.

Experience in running stereo subs can

be chalkedp up to ignorance.

It’s NOT stereo subs if both left and right signals are used in reproduction.. There is a BIG difference.. Wording count’s.. Stereo is greater than the sum of its parts, there are THREE distinct channels, left right and phantom center from TWO channels.. This isn't hard to understand..

IF you ran all your subs off just the right channel do you think all of the bass track on the source recording will be reproduced?

The only question that needs to be answered. A buddy a musician that is has a nice little recording studio in his home in Shelton WA. Can show anyone that wants the two different, but complete tracks, it takes to make up a single bass track..

Simply put, Bass guitar on the left and drums on the right, what do you think it would sound like if you only used the right channel?

BTW he is a serious bass player and stringed guy period. From a harp to a piano. He can explain the recording process pretty clearly.

I KNOW people are mixing mains that have a full signal with systems like mine that don’t pass a bass signals through their monitors, I use separate enclosures..

Same with my servo plates, hook up a single RCA to either plate and you will leave out 1/2 the signal. Very EASY to hear on my rigs..

Directionality or the fact subs can’t produce a center bass phantom tells you something. There is no separation from left to right, it is not reproduced in stereo it is reproducing TWO separate tracks to complete the actual way it was produced.

HOW SUBS are hooked up is REAL important in MY system, I have no idea what anyone else does.. if 1/2 the signal makes you happy.. By all means hook up your subs any way you like.. LOL

Yup fastfreight it’s pretty important too. REL say is will hurt their amp, NOT YOURS, I would question that one..:-) I don’t want to hurt anything.. It’s MINE after I pay for it.. LOL

Regards