Have you ever been turned off by an Arrogant Dealer? Thoughts

I have and it's extremely disappointing 

calvinj

Have you ever been turned off by an Arrogant Dealer?

I have and it’s extremely disappointing

ahhh ... the travails of life as a well heeled hifi and music lover

life is hard, ..... and then we die... 😓

I'm not a high roller in audio gear, but my three local shops have always been very friendly to me.  The one that is probably the highest end dealer with Focal Utopia Grande (or the next one down) speakers typically available for demo.  The salesman that I worked with when I made my first real dive into hi fi gear really would just sit and listen to music with me.  They setup whatever I was interested to hear.  I have always tried to be respectful of their time and only asked them for something specific if I was intending to make a purchase.  If I'm just browsing I'll just listen to whatever they have setup and am upfront about my intentions.  The second shop has a very community based atmosphere.  I was planning to purchase a used tube amplifier from them and the owner recommended that I purchase a Yaqin amplifier that was available on eBay instead.  He actually ordered it, set it up for me, and charged me exactly what I would have paid for it had I made the purchase.  I tracked down an LP of one of my favorite albums that's fairly unique and gave it to him as a thank you.  His approach to building a business is exactly what every shop should do.  Most of the time when I'm in the shop he's working on something and beyond a welcome he just continues what he's doing unless you make an inquiry.  I will say that it's never felt like he's ignoring you, more like you're considered to be a friend and welcome to make yourself comfortable.  I've only had one experience at the third shop and we did have a conversation where it was clear that they didn't want me to waste their time and then buy online.  When I confirmed that I would make the purchase from them if I decided to move forward they were happy to show me whatever was of interest.

Arrogance = Insecurity

I treat the few remaining as gods.

They treat me the same way.

What I have noticed is most of the dealers are not willing to sell below full retail.  Some of the out of town retailers are willing to sell for less because they can burry the sale without anyone being the wiser.  Let's say they drop their price on an out of state sale and mark it up 10%, I would rather throw in a few of those deals because they all add up to a total gross profit number at the end of the month.  It also helps them to turn their inventory so in turn they are able to increase their volume with their suppliers which in turn makes them more valuable to them.