Speakers for a Large Room (20’x37’)

Open concept listening space with speakers on one short wall and kitchen at the other end.  Furniture about fifteen feet from speakers.  I assume I'll need large speakers and am considering Klipsch Cornwalls as well as Tannoy Ardens, but open to suggestions.  I also assume standmounts are too small for the space.  I should mention I mostly listen at low to moderate sound levels, occasionally cranking it if the wife is out.   Thanks for any input.

doni

Dunlavy sc-4,5,6s are still to be found on occasion. Even though they are perhaps a couple of decades old, they still represent one of the best values in high end audio. Oh, and they absolutely love big rooms.

What is your BUDGET?  Will you consider a horn speaker?  I have a room larger than the one you speak of.  After a long search, I ended up buying Viking Acoustic Grande Voix dual horn speakers.  They absolutely fill the room with musical bliss.  Check out the Viking website.  

Doni, the drivers are HPD 315 (12") Dual Concentric. The enclosures were designed by me, are 150 liter bass-reflex, 1 7/8" two-layer MDF, weighing 192 lbs. each.

The crossovers are DIY, using Alpha Core 12 gauge ribbon inductors Mundorf        S-I-O  capacitors, and Dueland resistors.

I enjoy them every day.

Regards,

Dan

I auditioned the Cornwall IV's and loved them. But I didn't think the imaging was quite as good as what I wanted, so I went with the Ardens, without auditioning them, on a lark.

I think they would be perfect for your size room. Both are relatively unsightly compared to other options (according to some. I loved both)... But the sound...

If you get a chance to audition them broken in, that would be wise. The Tannoys do take about 500 hours to losen up. And it's not a pretty journey at times.

I can say the Cornwalls are likely better for low-level listening. They are incredible speakers and just effortless.

But if you can open them up... The Tannoys have left me with no regrets what-so-ever. They make almost everything sound realistic. They are a blast. They are alive. They are what I remember liking the best about live music. But they can put it out. While I was breaking them in, I put on a Boccherini cello concerto while I mowed the lawn. My neighbor stopped by and said: "Those speakers sound great! Where are they?" and I had to tell him with a straight face: "In the house."

Both have to be a pulled a good ways into the room to get a good stereo image. Same as most speakers. Soundstage is just more complete with the Tannoys, IMHO. But it all depends on what you are looking for. I honestly don't think you can go too far wrong with either.

Best!

Steve