Mojo Audio Mystique EVO

Mojo Audio updated their website yesterday with details on the next generation of the Mojo Mystique DAC, the Mystique EVO.

Unlike the V3, the EVO has upgrade options for component, isolation and shielding upgrades - at purchase or to be upgraded later.   The website states there are plans to release new boards for ethernet/roon, and other dac chips like the PCM63.

I pre-ordered an EVO in late February with a few upgrades.  I'm expected to receive it in 1-2 weeks, and I'll post my impressions after some time with it.  I currently have the Mystique V3 and I find it fantastic.  Really looking forward to hearing Ben's next iteration.

veroguy
Extremely problematic to make blanket statement about superiority of streaming vs. cd transports. Optimizing streaming is likely the most complex undertaking in audio, I doubt there are any two optimized streaming setups exactly the same. So many variables, and every single little thing matters.
In any case my original streaming setup was bettered by my PS Audio PWT, eventually with upgrades to streaming setup, streams and rips better than transport. Took many upgrades to turn the tables here. And I preferred my Mark Levinson No.37 transport (Phillips pro, much attention to mounting to chassis, less vibration) which unfortunately died some months prior. I'm quite sure I would have still preferred streaming vs the 37 ultimately, as I've since optimized streaming further from the point I preferred streaming vs PS transport. Almost forgot, I had modded my PS PWT, can't recall everything, remember using much better caps in critical areas. Anyway mods improved the transport, still not up to ML.

Also, keep in mind, dac inputs optimized differently. I have no doubt transports or streaming may be best, depending on situation. I also assume we'll see further developments in streaming, really in it's infancy. For me, streaming is the most exciting thing to come along in audio for ages. For content alone, even the largest cd or album collection can't beat it.

Still its good to continue to develop cd playback, my only concern is how much longer cd's will continue to be offered. Many releases are already streams only.
As for Mystique, Mojo dacs always been on my short list of dacs to upgrade if I ever felt the need. I like Benjamin's designs and implementation, he also understands the improvements boutique parts can make.

I took Ben's advice not long after I purchased my EVO to upgrade my cd transport from a Cambridge CXC . I decided at the time to go with a Simaudio 260D, it was a definite improvement in my system. I don't stream so I have no comparison to offer
I’ve owned the whose who in CD transports: CEC, Teac VRDS, even an old all metal CDM-1 in a 50 pound Sony deck.

Not one of those sounded even close to the first prototype MacMini music server I built back in 2009 with a linear power supply I made from spare parts laying around my shop.

That’s why I got into computer audio. None of those CD transports held a candle to even the most basic of computer audio.

Earlier this past year I auditioned a McIntosh MCT500: a $5K, very heavy, dual laser, metal disk tray, advanced clocking, CD transport with a USB port.

It was no comparison to my computer audio system. I couldn’t listen to that MCT500 for very long before it fatigued me.

So don’t get me wrong: all CD transports are not better than computer audio. So far the only one I’ve found is the Jay’s transport which sells for about HALF the price of the McIntosh.

There are comparisons between the Jay’s and the CEC and the PWT online. Most people pick the Jay’s transport hands down and find those other transports sound softer, slower, and off time and tune.

Apparently most of the hard core CD spinners these days are going for the top loaders, like the Jay’s, Denefrips, and Pro-Ject.
Yes, the transport matters. But the digital cable and power cord also matters in terms of the sound output of the transport. The footers matter also. The fuse matters. Oh my. Very important really. So much matters.
I have the some of the best ancillaries on the PWT and do feel it is a good comparison to the Jay’s or any great spinner. Hijiri cabling, QSA fuse, Townshend footers etc….

Must hear the sonic differences or lack of them in your own system. For me spinning vs server is very close. I owned a tricked out Mini, LPS and all the software upgrades, and moving to my current server front end was a substantial sonic upgrade. At least for me in my system.
I would love to try a Jay’s or Pro-Ject transport in my rig with my cabling and footers. I would need it as a trial purchase for comparison purposes.  If it is significantly better, to my ear, than the PWT I would buy it. Better for me is not a matter of more detail or crisper leading edges, but more a matter of natural tone and fluidity.