B&W Matrix 801 Series II

There is a pair for sale in my area for $2000. Anyone have an opinion on these speakers? Are they good sounding speakers or just okay? I believe they are pretty old. My interest in them is because they are local so no shipping and I understand B&W makes some very good speakers. Thanks for the help.
wemfan
Wemfan, I think you missed my point. Your Parasound, based on the info I have read, is $3000 and is generally considered a solid performer. If I wasn't clear: my point was simply that if you compare your Mac to what the best tube amps have to offer, you might find that it is probably about as far from that as what your Parasound offers relative to the best solid state amps; so, much of the difference that you are hearing is the intrinsic differences in sound between the two technologies. As someone who considers himself a "tube guy", you may want to focus on what exactly that means to you. More importantly, and especially for someone who admits to "not knowing much" about this stuff, it's important to remember that price is not necessarily the best determinant of ultimate quality. To my way of thinking, if you prefer the sound of tubes, trying a tube amp with adequate power is the next logical step.

Which brings me to the subject of money. You have jumped to considering amps in the $10-12,000 range!! In all lack of shyness, my advise at this point is to take a deep breath and slow things down. Building a truly satisfying system, as has been suggested many times so far, is about balance and synergy (of various sorts). Ultimately, all the well-meaning advise that we can offer you cannot replace the homework that all experienced audiophiles have done by way of trying different gear and forming one's own sense of what "synergy" means in the context of your own sonic priorities. Good luck.
The Krells are no slouches. Definitely give them a try. What do you have to lose?
Hi Wemfan

I will acquire the BAF filter as soon as I can locate one. Thanks for stressing the importance of it.

I have a BAF available - if you are not able to source one I can sell one. You can contact me at

bcpguy(at)bell(dot)net

if interested.

What tube pre do you suggest for the Krell amps?

If a tube pre as long as the outputs have capacitors coupled to them.

What are you looking to improve on with your current preamp? Any problems with it ?

I would keep it for now and not change it out until after you hear how it sounds with the amp/s you're thinking of getting.
No problems on the current pre amp but that goes with the MC275 and Klipsch system. The 801s will be its own complete system. I read about the K 600 and it appears to be a killer amp. I read that it weighs 182 lbs.!!! Damn, I may not be man enough to own one. Maybe the wife can move it around for me...

Frogman, My Parasound is the A31 which is a 3 channel amp. The same amp but in stereo is the A21 and it is a $2000 amplifier.
I read that it weighs 182 lbs.!!!

where there is audiophile will - there is a way.
True story.
When I went to pick it up - I entered the front door of the sellers house - the lobby area.
it was a surprise that we went upstairs instead of downstairs.
It was the house of a single person (not married) - this seller.
How did I know this ?
Well he lived in a two story house and his 2 channel room was the master bedroom on the upper floor....
Nice big room ...... but suspended floors :^( ..... he was using 801 nautilus.
His sleeping quarters were I guess one of the smaller guest bedrooms.
Only a unmarried guy could get away with this I thought.
and I thought I had it good....
How many single female audiophiles reading this ....would give up their master bedroom - the one with double closets for this ?
The digital player was the top of the line Wadia and the preamp Pass Labs - X0.2
The main floor itself had a home theater setup with the kitchen next door. Nice touch.

We packed the 600 in the ingenious Krell box.
The 600 comes with a very unique box - allowing two people to easily place it in the box because it is as you say Wemfan - heavy.
You have to see the box itself to understand what I mean. It's really thought out well by Krell.
IN fact I was so impressed with the box that if the 600 comes with a Krell box its worth at least $500 more to me just for the box.
anyway.....
We strapped it to my two wheel dolly. We started slowly down the stairs to the main floor.
two levels of... if I remember 10 stairs each.
When at the bottom we left the amp on the dolly laid flat - horizontal - in the front hallway - and took a break.
We had a pop in his main room.

While we were chatting all of sudden there was a loud BANG!!! from the hallway near the amp.
The noise accentuated by the narrow front hall way.
WTF was all that I could think. It sounded like something in the amp blew up.
I was close.
one of the tires blew on the dolly holding the amp up......
Looking like the movies where the guy is driving around on one rim after a flat tire,
we rolled the crippled dolly and amp the rest of the way to the vehicle and put the amp in.

Maybe the wife can move it around for me...

My wife helped to lift the 800's into place. I wish now I had taken a picture of her face when they were up.
Amps stands with castors - like your 801's if moved around alot.