B&W Matrix 801 Series II

There is a pair for sale in my area for $2000. Anyone have an opinion on these speakers? Are they good sounding speakers or just okay? I believe they are pretty old. My interest in them is because they are local so no shipping and I understand B&W makes some very good speakers. Thanks for the help.
wemfan
Hi Wemfan

I will acquire the BAF filter as soon as I can locate one. Thanks for stressing the importance of it.

I have a BAF available - if you are not able to source one I can sell one. You can contact me at

bcpguy(at)bell(dot)net

if interested.

What tube pre do you suggest for the Krell amps?

If a tube pre as long as the outputs have capacitors coupled to them.

What are you looking to improve on with your current preamp? Any problems with it ?

I would keep it for now and not change it out until after you hear how it sounds with the amp/s you're thinking of getting.
No problems on the current pre amp but that goes with the MC275 and Klipsch system. The 801s will be its own complete system. I read about the K 600 and it appears to be a killer amp. I read that it weighs 182 lbs.!!! Damn, I may not be man enough to own one. Maybe the wife can move it around for me...

Frogman, My Parasound is the A31 which is a 3 channel amp. The same amp but in stereo is the A21 and it is a $2000 amplifier.
I read that it weighs 182 lbs.!!!

where there is audiophile will - there is a way.
True story.
When I went to pick it up - I entered the front door of the sellers house - the lobby area.
it was a surprise that we went upstairs instead of downstairs.
It was the house of a single person (not married) - this seller.
How did I know this ?
Well he lived in a two story house and his 2 channel room was the master bedroom on the upper floor....
Nice big room ...... but suspended floors :^( ..... he was using 801 nautilus.
His sleeping quarters were I guess one of the smaller guest bedrooms.
Only a unmarried guy could get away with this I thought.
and I thought I had it good....
How many single female audiophiles reading this ....would give up their master bedroom - the one with double closets for this ?
The digital player was the top of the line Wadia and the preamp Pass Labs - X0.2
The main floor itself had a home theater setup with the kitchen next door. Nice touch.

We packed the 600 in the ingenious Krell box.
The 600 comes with a very unique box - allowing two people to easily place it in the box because it is as you say Wemfan - heavy.
You have to see the box itself to understand what I mean. It's really thought out well by Krell.
IN fact I was so impressed with the box that if the 600 comes with a Krell box its worth at least $500 more to me just for the box.
anyway.....
We strapped it to my two wheel dolly. We started slowly down the stairs to the main floor.
two levels of... if I remember 10 stairs each.
When at the bottom we left the amp on the dolly laid flat - horizontal - in the front hallway - and took a break.
We had a pop in his main room.

While we were chatting all of sudden there was a loud BANG!!! from the hallway near the amp.
The noise accentuated by the narrow front hall way.
WTF was all that I could think. It sounded like something in the amp blew up.
I was close.
one of the tires blew on the dolly holding the amp up......
Looking like the movies where the guy is driving around on one rim after a flat tire,
we rolled the crippled dolly and amp the rest of the way to the vehicle and put the amp in.

Maybe the wife can move it around for me...

My wife helped to lift the 800's into place. I wish now I had taken a picture of her face when they were up.
Amps stands with castors - like your 801's if moved around alot.
Funny story. That amp is a beast. I am sure it sounds great. I was rereading this thread and saw where you had listed one that was on Audiogon when this thread started but has since expired. I had forgotten about it.
Krell fpb600

here's the link again. not affiliated with the ad.
fwiw - in Canada this amp was close to $20k when new due to the dollar.
If built today I hazard a wild guess at over twice - or more - its new price back then to make today.

Finding synergy is the key as Frogman mentioned earlier.

imo -synergy means different things for each of us.

1) Some try to buy "Synergy". The latest and greatest products. in my personal experiences - I have not met one satisfied rich audiophile. They trade their gear like their stocks. But I need them because I buy used and take the depreciation - this allows me the cash needed to play with a few other hobbies.

2) Some try to find "Synergy" by DIY (do it yourself). Some build amps, others rip open their speakers and upgrade parts.

Others construct turntables ....... :^( - I got lost on this one myself for a good 6 years.

3) Some try to find "Synergy" buy doing as much homework as they can ahead of time. Educating themselves. Before they bring the products in. You seem to be most like this type from the posts to me. This is very good - imo.

Type 4 ?

For me personally 2 and 3 have produced the longest lasting feeling of satisfaction. Even when I have bought new and it worked out well the feeling of contentment never lasted as long. Probably because I did not learn anything along the way. This is all about the music and how it makes me feel. The equipment part for me is the "hobby part". I need to be learning to stay entertained.

When the music itself becomes a means to the end - its time to come up for some air. The symptoms when this happens are pretty clear.

Cheers