CD Alternative

At present I have around 1200 CD's which are played on a Cal Audio/Benchmark DAC 1.  I am looking for some guidance regarding the potential use of high res streaming or ripping and having a server.  I have no idea which option/equipment to pursue or if there is another option to consider.  This all started when I recently went to audition speakers with a few CD's but discovered this was the old fashioned way and instead used a "Roon Streamer" I think.   Secondly the Cal Audio is about 25+ years old and the DAC 1 is 16 yrs old.  Thanks in advance for your responses as I am absolutely confused with the digital path to take. 
xagwell
CD sounds great, audition some newer CD players in your price range before deciding on streaming or ripping...
The streaming listener has no way of knowing the provenance of a particular recording. Many from the streaming services have been remastered - altered - from the originals. More compression, boosted bass ... if this doesn't bother you, then go ahead and stream away! 
I don't think that older CD players and DACs are inferior and take second place to the new stuff! The proliferation of ever more expensive DACs and transports appears to be driven by clever marketing to appeal to the "golden ears" crowd to increase profits.
I just read that the latest version of my original Benchmark DAC 1 is a A+ recommended component.  While appreciating the limitation of such "recommended component" lists a newer DAC could be an option.  OTOH there is no way I am spending time ripping 1200+ CD's.  At present I couldn't store the files anyway which brings me to the idea of a media server if I'm using the term correctly.  
There is an evolution going on. It started with a CD Player and will end with streaming. We are far enough along that there are high end solutions for the each end of the spectrum and anywhere in between. Solutions exist at most price points $1,000 -> $100,000. I have 2,000 CDs collecting dust.

So the evolution has been: CD Player, Rip disks (relocate files) to a hard drive, purchase high Rez versions on line, save on a network drive, then stream from internet server service (Qobuz). If asking this question now, I would not waste the time or money on the intermediate steps and just focus on streaming. I spent hundreds of hours ripping disks and on storage. Now the best digital sound comes from Qobuz streaming ($14.99/ month) and other services… most audiophiles prefer Qobuz). If I want to listen to a CD I own, I just stream it from Qobuz.

In general, it is going to cost about the same, say maybe 10% - 15% more for streaming, but it is going to save you a lot of money not pursuing intermediate steps. It will give you access to the world of music… almost anything you can think of and worlds you have not. It is going to be a similar amount of work choosing equipment and making sure it is compatible.

Streaming requires a good Streamer, and DAC (a CD player is a physical transport, a streamer, and DAC in one box). You can use a PC for streaming, but if you want to get to true high end you need a real stand alone streamer, something built from the ground up as a streamer (think Aurender or Auralic). They come with storage and without. I haven’t used my storage for over six months.