I'm a Dummy, Tell Me About Turntable Mats

Turntable mats seem to be an inexpensive way to improve a component, but the thing that gives me pause is that as I understand it, you put them on with adhesive. Is there a possibility that a turntable would be damaged by a turntable mat?

If it's relevant at all, the turntable I'm thinking of using a mat on is a Sota Comet III bought used.
heretobuy
...continuing
Online research many mats seemed to change the sound not necessarily for the better.  But the Stein Music mat seems to advance sonics in many areas without any tradeoffs or colorations:

TAS 2021 Golden Ear Award by TAS Executive Editor Jonathan Valin
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/steinmusic-pi-carbon-signature-record-mat
@atmasphere, all that is very true. However, it the record is not firmly coupled to the mat it does not make much difference. The weight of the record is not enough aside from the fact that few records are perfectly flat.

I just ran a little experiment for fun. The stylus noise is easily twice as loud with the vacuum defeated as against the vacuum on! It is just barely audible with the vacuum on and my ear right next to the record. This is with a record of standard thickness.

The stylus noise test not only picks up noise generated by a vibrating record but also from a vibrating tonearm.
To not use a mat, a platter must be made with relief for the thicker parts of a record in order for the read surface to have its best chance of coupling with the platter.
FWIW, I typically NEVER use a mat on Delrin or acrylic platters.

Had lots of success with the 5mm thick Achromat on suspended vintage Thorens, AR & Linn tables (2-piece platters) all with good grip and no slipping. Have had slipping on Rega one piece platters which required thin double-sided (carpet) tape to grip.

The current Luxman mat is a sweetheart on every high mass design system I’ve tried it on. Record weight &/or clamps NOT required.
Mijo, This "stylus noise" to which you refer, are you talking about the faint echo of the musical signal that one can often hear if your ear is close to the playing surface?  That's the only noise I typically hear, and it's due to the microphonic nature of a cartridge.  I am guessing you are talking about some other type of noise, but I don't know what.