I'm a Dummy, Tell Me About Turntable Mats

Turntable mats seem to be an inexpensive way to improve a component, but the thing that gives me pause is that as I understand it, you put them on with adhesive. Is there a possibility that a turntable would be damaged by a turntable mat?

If it's relevant at all, the turntable I'm thinking of using a mat on is a Sota Comet III bought used.
heretobuy
MC very graciously nailed it. They all DO sound different plus other considerations like static buildup (felt.)
Start with one of these:
Acrylic Turntable Mat - Black - LP Slipmat with Record Label Recess https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0727PT125/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_J790KRJNDH1AJXQNW014
Free returns if it doesn’t do it for ya.
Then you can decide if you wanna chance almost 2.5 times the cost on:
https://www.originlive.com/shop/upgrade-platter-mat.html
Happy listening to you.

Adhesive is a non issue with proper solvents. Methyl ketone in lacquer thinner should be a last resort. It will remove a lot more than just adhesive. Plastic, polished finishes, living cells, etc.
As Zappa said "coocoorotya."
as I understand it, you put them on with adhesive.
Some do, some don't. One of my favorites, the pad made by Oracle, uses an adhesive.

The function of the mat is to control resonance generated in the vinyl by the act of the cartridge tracking. If you can hear the cartridge tracking the vinyl with the volume all the way down, that's a bad sign, and also a way to let you know how effective your mat really is. The mat should also therefore be able to damp the platter as well.

If the mat is too hard or too soft, it will introduce a coloration. The correct durometer is that of the vinyl itself. This is why felt and metals both do not work right, although felt is often used because it can act like a clutch during DJ work.
Depends on the table.  I haven't used a mat sine the AR table days.  Been using a VPI table since the early 90's with no mat.  That said, record clamps or weights need to be used if no mat.  

At least that's what works for me.
A little off-topic, but I always found it interesting (curious??) that VPI does not endorse TT mats on their tables.   Last table I bought shipped without one; when I reached out to them for one, they kind of tried to “talk me out of” needing one.   But in the end, they will send upon request.    Just a little weird, IMO.   

Jim