Why are there no tube televisions anymore?

It’s funny when you come to think of it and compare video with audio. How come in the audio world discussions sometimes become intense, while there seem to be far less intense discussions in the TV & video realm?

With TV’s there’s no talk on tubes, transistors, analog, digital, vinyl, cables, power cords, heck we can even get ’audio’ fuses and -USB cables.

No one has a tube TV (while they really have a ’warmer’ image :) and very few people use a $400 power cord with their TV set. And while there are expensive HDMI cables on the market, the vast majority uses one below $50. And no one spends money on floor spacers to avoid cable vibrations.

Our eyes may even be far more sensitive than our ears ... yet discussions are far less intense. How come?

rudyb
Me too, I’ll agree with anything today, but I’m rollin’ mine.

I was overseas as a kid. There was no TV from 6-10 years of age for me It was weird to come back home to Jackie Gleason and Flipper.

We listened to Radio Free Europe. LOL You still needed tubes to keep the old rig my Dad picked up going. I remember exposed wiring overhead in every room. If you touched it, you got fried.. The first thing I learned at 6 years old. I hate getting shocked..

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As far as douglas goes:

Over the years the pattern has been well established. Those who have a strong inclination to think they are right and who wish to build a budget audio system (and will not spend much/any money to put their skepticism to the test) put up the straw man of tweaks in order to rip on religion/faith.

The thinking person sees clearly enough what it is, ignorance and arrogance.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You have a propensity to portray yourself as superior.

Besmirching of others is not very becoming to a person of your perceived inteligencia. Your piers may find it petty. Me not having your vast experience can only bow to your Odes of wisdom. Long live the philosophy of the mighty Douglas.. Tongue in cheek of course..

Put a NAME to those you deem ignorant and arrogant. I’ve never had a problem putting a name to an issue.. OR are we all just stupid?

Makes me wish I was still in the work force, some people you just want to spend TIME with in a ditch, full of concrete on a 120 degree day, and see what they are really made of, 10 hours later, sippin’ on ice tea and lookin at dirty pictures of each others girlfriends/boyfriends/dog-friends.

BTW my cooker is working great...:-), so are the mixed cables sets, tube gear, turntable (S), R2R and Preamp with tone control, bass contour, with variable loudness. I use a tube EQ too. Just to add a little more color to my system. I use them to Brake-in equipment, and cables all the time.
I burn-in valves (tubes) on a machine I made, it works quite well..

How is the upgrade on the main AC at the house working for ya?
60 amp to 100, or 200 amp. That help things?

Douglas knows what we’re talking about. Glass houses Douglas!!!

Regards
Video production and post production pro here. A couple of things to add.
Until a few months ago I had an old 20” Sony CRT sitting unused in my post production suite.(pic attached) I was going to give it to a friend that collects old TVs, just to get some space back.

But before I did I jumped onto eBay to see if it was worth more than the $300 or so I thought, if even that. I ended up selling it to gamer who paid to have a shipping company pick it up, pack and ship to Canada. Total cost to him....... $5,000. Turns out it was sort of a holy grail of CRTs and had low hours, which was unusual since most of them were in large facilities and had many thousands of hours use.  I still have a 14” version I plan to sell soon. 

As far as Video in general, digital is far superior to anything analog ever had to offer, and my post suite is far superior to the million dollar suites when I first started out in the industry. Editing and color grading each needed their own at that cost.
The people who do color grading are just as picky and tweeky in their own way about setup as audio folks are.Picture of my suite with the CRT. (Getting rid of it has allowed room for much better placement of the genelec monitors - sub is there as well.https://i.imgur.com/p7Xn1lY.jpg
By way, good OLED's now are 240Hz. or higher, time to upgrade.

Gamers have compared those to CRT sets and they claim the CRT sets are still better.