Fidelity vs. Musicality...........Is there a tug of War?

I lean towards Musicality in systems.
ishkabibil
Fidelity to what?    There is no definable entity out there to be faithful to.  
FWIW.

Prat, beat, rhythm, foot tapping or whatever to want to call it. If that is not present, it is not musical for me.

After that, as I journey on, I am finding that detail adds to this and makes things even more musical.

Thanks for listening,

Dsper
Years later, the Eagles in Seattle, another almost equally bad audio experience however this time so greatly overshadowed by their "musicality" I honestly couldn’t have cared less.

Reminds me of John Lennon all those years ago when he said the quality of the recording didn't matter, it was the quality of the performance. Some of those 7" singles sound dreadful especially when played with a worn out stylus on substandard equipment. (He was probably comparing the sound to studio monitors.)

I couldn't agree more, the performance is crucial.

With today's equipment, those days are long gone and poor sound quality ruins any performance. Screwing the volume up to absurd levels so you hear nothing but pain is absurd.

A well produced recording played on a high end system cuts it for me.

Perhaps you could say I like it both ways.
Musicality to me is when my system draws me  unconsciously into the music rather than me trying to decipher all the little parts of the sound I am striving for.  That is the best feeling when you realize you have been totally engulfed into the music for the last hour without ever thinking about what the system sounds like. Musical nirvana, makes it all worth it.